Plug Slug numbers

I'm sure it's already been posted before, but for some reason the forum search isn't working correctly for me...Anyway here's the current numbers for plug slugs:

Unfed - don't bother.  Wild or Tame, if you're not going to feed them, you may as well just eat them.

Wild, Fed - 400 watts -- 30 KJ if no travel time and 0 hunger level  (testing was actually averaging about 28.7 KJ because of this), so assume 1/2 a battery per slug

Wild, Fed, Overcrowded - 80 watts - 6 JK (actual average about 5.5 KJ)

Tame, Fed - 1600 watts - 120 KJ (actual average about 90 KJ), so 2.25 batteries per slug

Tame, Fed, Overcrowded - 320 watts - 24 KJ (actual average about 20 KJ)

Tame, Fed, Ungroomed - 320 watts

The actual values fluctuate some due to hunger levels, as the slugs will get somewhat hungry before eating again, which lowers the overall power.

So, overall, not worth the effort, in my opinion.  Yes, 1 or 2 tamed and fed slugs can pretty much supply the entire early game with power but between the ore depletion and the grooming time; I think a mouse wheel is the better option.  YMMV of course, especially if you happen to start with a ranching dupe.

I can add to that.  Fed, overcrowded, is 400 watts.  Its only 320 watts if they haven't eaten recently.  Same with fed and ungroomed.  The unhappy modifier basically divides their output by 4.  So, your fed overcrowded that showed 320 watts would actually be putting out 1200 watts if they weren't overcrowded.  I hope that helps clear up some of the variance.

Finally, there's a penalty for grooming at night.  If they're groomed during part of their sleep cycle, they output 320 watts for the remainder of their sleep cycle.

In the thread above, @Sith515 corrects my post, stating correctly that they eat 60kg of ore per cycle, and output 3kg of hydrogen.  I also updated my post later with a ranch that works very well. 

It should also be noted: If you stop feeding your tame slugs, they will die out before laying eggs to repopulate.  I don't know if this is intentional, but its good to keep a couple slugs wild just in case.

16 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

How long can a wild slug go without food after being fed before it drops below 400 watts?

Quite a while.  I have a slug now that at an age of 50 and another at 67 that are still putting out 40 watts.  Tame slugs will be at zero after less than 10 cycles.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Quite a while.  I have a slug now that at an age of 50 and another at 67 that are still putting out 40 watts.  Tame slugs will be at zero after less than 10 cycles.

Just thinking for early game, it may be worthwhile to keep them wild and only feed them once to save on metal.

This was my first wild plug slug build.  Open room above the printer, would use the compactor to sweep up metal or dropped eggs as needed 

20201210043315_1.thumb.jpg.f5a69b5f60844148d4cab119d1df7e45.jpg

Archived