Could Fruit Fly Lord Only Spawn from Rotted Crops?

I like the design and behavior of the new Lord of the Fruit Flies boss and I absolutely love its drop. However, I am wondering if it needs to be as regular of a boss as it currently is. Not sure how often it spawns but it seems to appear quite frequently in my farms, and it quickly becomes a major annoyance having to dispatch of this mini-boss so often. I understand it to be a threat associated with gathering resources, much like treeguards are the threat when gathering trees. Treeguards by comparison, however, are much easier to dispatch because of their slow movement.

Seeing as how normal fruit flies start to appear around fruits when they get left out for too long, perhaps the mob could become more of a punishment for players who leave their crops to rot on the vine rather than just a general punishment for using the new farm system. If the goal is to get players comfortable using the new farm system then I'm afraid that the regularity of this mob may scare many of them away from using farm plots.

Farming has become so productive and crops so bountiful that i kind of think its appropriate for there to be at least one hinderance/some risk to it in the form of the Fruitfly lord. Leaving crops to rot is already punished by shortening the FFL spawn countdown if im not mistaken. If it only spawned from rotten crops then itd be very easy to avoid it forever. How often does it spawn for you? I cant say ive found it too annoying and i accidentally leave wild crops to rot all time 

Also as has been noted on the forums before, you can spawn the lord in a remote location and leave it there, a new one wont respawn as long as theres a living FFL. And they stay where they spawned. 

The Lord of the Fruit Flies is one of a kind and very territorial.

He won't go more than 7.5 turfs away from his spawn point and will immediately return to it has no one to fight, no weeds to plant and no crops to bully. So you can just spawn him in a pre-selected spot,  ideally the place you want to make a weed farm, since the fruit flies are great for that, and just leave the Lord of the Fruit Flies be.

Archived