Cargo module balance

The DLC does a great job of giving you an incentive to go to other planets. That's what's really missing in the base game. But it still falls short in another aspect: practical rocket cargo missions. In the base game there is no real reason to deliberately go for anything but rare resources, as you can't return most of the usual stuff in useful quantities. I've gone some useful things like solid methane as a byproduct but that's it.

The solid cargo bay is only 500 kg. In the base game it's 1000 kg. Maybe there will be a bigger cargo bay in the final version for use with end game rockets, but if that's again 1000 kg that's still not a lot. Consider what some of the things cost:

• Airflow tiles, fire poles, bunker tiles are 100 kg. Not too bad at first glance, but still only 5 pieces per cargo bay
  • Liquid reservoirs and automatic dispensers are 400 kg. And suddenly it's almost a whole module
  • coal / hydrogen generators or temp shift plates are 800 kg

Is this really the intended game balance? Even with using multiple modules it seems like an awfully high investment to transport a little material around

Already there is the workaround of just putting storage bins into crew modules. And with the large crew module you can transport a ridiculous amount of stuff. But I don't think that should be encouraged. The game already has too many cases where there are too convenient workarounds and even exploits to bypass certain buildings and concepts. It also can't be automated like hooking up conveyor rails or pipes to (un)load things, so you need a lot of dupe labor and manual adjustments.

Ideally I'd even nerf this by calculating the actual weight of buildings in the modules and taking it into account for the rocket burden. Or at least account for the weight of storage containers and stuff on the ground. But only if the actual cargo modules are given a capacity large enough to be useful and attractive. I can see this as tricky to balance as it needs to be reasonably large, but still small enough to require multiple or even regular trips for larger needs. But something needs to be done here.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

especially when I can haul back 40t in the capsule and more if I drop stuff on the floor.

In theory the game could iterate over the interior of the rocket and calculate the material lying on the ground. Plus what is inside storage bins. And then check against the weight limit. There are performance considerations for this, but it could be only be done when the rocket is trying to launch maybe.

Some care needs to be taken to allow the necessary amount of legitimate cargo such as food and algae/oxylite. But there are ways to at least limit this exploit.

17 hours ago, Steve8 said:

In theory the game could iterate over the interior of the rocket and calculate the material lying on the ground. Plus what is inside storage bins. And then check against the weight limit. There are performance considerations for this, but it could be only be done when the rocket is trying to launch maybe.

Some care needs to be taken to allow the necessary amount of legitimate cargo such as food and algae/oxylite. But there are ways to at least limit this exploit.

sure but 600kg is plain stupid.

And now you need to carry sugar in the nosecone since you can't return trip

Would be great to see weight being a factor in rocket range/speed. For example the cargo module is useless if i can pop a few storage bins inside the shuttle. If the total weight of the rocket would be taken into account that would be unfeasible (still wouldn't resolve the cargo module issue, unless it can somehow count as half the weight inside it or just disallow storing things on the floor/bins)

Archived