Telescopes on spaceships

(My experience w/ the DLC so far is only watching Let's Play videos, so there may already be something like this...)

Let rockets be configured as mobile observatories. I've watched a Let's Play where the player visited an asteroid, surveyed around it, and found nothing. But, he could fly the rocket into that empty space and look for things from there.

I see a bunch of options:

1. Just place a telescope on the rocket. Little different than building it on an asteroid.
  2. Have a special command module. When the rocket is stationary, the dupe can survey. (It might have a smaller radius to encourage players to use asteroid based telescopes.)
  3. Have a dedicated rocket module. It may need it's own dupe operator or the pilot could move between the modules.

In all cases, letting the player know when all viewable hexes have been surveyed would be useful.

Anyhow, the DLC looks fun and I'll enjoy it when it comes out.

As of the latest update, is this still possible? Spacefarer Module + Sucrose + oxalite setup gives a range of about 2 hexagons... means you can only scan from orbit and still get home.

:(

I have 3 asteroids unlocked (the start, the teleport one and another... telescopes have been used from the surfaces and I can't see anything else without a space based telescope... but with a rocket range of 1... hmm... 

I tried and it did not work for me. I have telescope installed in the rocket module. The dup pilot has all skills to use the telescope. I sent the ship two cells away. During the flight I tried the dup using the telescope but he did not want and it was a message that all cells were surveyed already. I then send the ship to another planet which did not have a telescope before. During the flight and on the planet I tried again to force the dup to use the telescope and he did not do it. The same message that everything is already surveyed. So I had to build another telescope by the rocket to survey the second planet. I installed the telescope in the left upper rocket module corner if it matters.

2 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

I tried and it did not work for me. I have telescope installed in the rocket module. The dup pilot has all skills to use the telescope. I sent the ship two cells away. During the flight I tried the dup using the telescope but he did not want and it was a message that all cells were surveyed already. I then send the ship to another planet which did not have a telescope before. During the flight and on the planet I tried again to force the dup to use the telescope and he did not do it. The same message that everything is already surveyed. So I had to build another telescope by the rocket to survey the second planet. I installed the telescope in the left upper rocket module corner if it matters.

The telescope on a spaceship doesn`t seem intended so it doesn`t work perfectly. From what i heard the telescope stops working once all nearby tiles are surveyed so for it to work in space you need to build it before all tiles were scanned on the home planet or deconstruct and rebuild it after it shows the "all cells surveyed" message.

5 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

The telescope on a spaceship doesn`t seem intended so it doesn`t work perfectly. From what i heard the telescope stops working once all nearby tiles are surveyed so for it to work in space you need to build it before all tiles were scanned on the home planet or deconstruct and rebuild it after it shows the "all cells surveyed" message.

Thanks for clarification. It makes sense. It will be better if a player can set one telescope at any asteroid and then explore all cells albeit slow if they are far away (like the old one). I have the telescope in the pilot module as I tried to get pilots busy with. Also I ended up with 3 asteroids on the map but a lot of cells are left fogged.

Archived