Give Rook a stun card

Sal has two stun cards (a 3 cost and a 1 cost), Smith has one stun card (a 2 cost with a 1 cost upgrade), yet Rook has no stun cards at all. Seems utterly unfair. Given the old man's limited energy access and the ability to pump damage via Overcharge, I think it'd be fair if Sal's 1 cost low damage stun was given to Rook, leaving Sal with the 3 cost one (an easily manageable price for her thanks to the boss energy grafts).

Ignoring the fact that Bog Down is a stun card thats admittedly rare but still obtainable as Rook, this is likely due to balance reasons because of just how easy it is for Rook to pump out insane single target and AoE damage

edit: oh yeah and also keep in mind that Sal is basically the tutorial character

You have to get the secret, then you need to hatch the 2 cost secret, and then you need to get lucky and end up with Bog Down. That's far from guaranteed, or even likely.

As to the damage argument, I'm sure you've seen the insane Cynotrainer stacking attempts with Sal, a character not gimped by the measly 3 energy per turn limit, which outdoes anything Rook could produce. Don't even get me started on Bleed and full HP heals via Leech, along with double digit defense every turn via Barnacle.

And as for Sal being a starting character...I don't see what that has to do with anything.

In addition, Rook has the lowest starting HP, going as low as 38 max HP at P6. Thirty eight. There are enemy party combinations that can one shot him at full HP on turn 1. He could really use a reliable (relatively speaking) stunner.

Well, Rook can get stun cards by killing rebels or security guards, on top of the bog secrets. And there is an item that stuns all metallic enemies you get from killing the Rise automech, I think? They don't appear in the compendium. He's more likely to have access to stun at any given time in his campaign than either Sal or Smith.

In Brawl, however... yeah he's toast. Much harder than his campaign. Low health, weak basic defense cards, more battle/boss variability, no shovel, less access to the graft market...

I really don't think giving him a stun card would have much of an effect on the campaign. Bog Monster is the only really challenging fight (largely due to him stealing cards), maybe Flekfis if you draw poorly. Regular combat encounters are passable so long as you don't end up in a 1v4 (in which case access to a reliable stun seems well justified).

As for his Brawl, it really doesn't matter. Rook lives or dies by pure mission RNG since he's not allowed to heal or recruit allies in the tavern before the boss fight, and this experimental change

In brawl, Rook can light a fire at his campsite and lure in people to hire/rob/hang out with

is, frankly, just a half-as...hearted attempt at fixing a problem that has a stupefyingly simple solution: let him visit the tavern before the boss fight. The stun alone wouldn't change jack.

Archived