Steam turbine idea

Now that there's so much more in the game related to polluted water, I'd really like to be able to create a water boiler to purify polluted water.  The easy way top do this for salt water, is to put an aquatuner in a box, a steam-turbine above, and pour water on the aquatuner.

This doesn't work with polluted water very well, because it off-gasses, filling the room with polluted oxygen.

What if the steam turbine was able to accept oxygen, polluted oxygen, and CO2 that are over 125C, but instead of them exiting the pipe, they are released into the room with the turbine?  This would really reduce general setup pain, but should be reasonably balanced, because it would require more cooling on the steam turbine, to counter the super-heated gas being released on it.  This gas would not generate power.

31 minutes ago, Lupbert said:

Now that there's so much more in the game related to polluted water, I'd really like to be able to create a water boiler to purify polluted water.  The easy way top do this for salt water, is to put an aquatuner in a box, a steam-turbine above, and pour water on the aquatuner.

This doesn't work with polluted water very well, because it off-gasses, filling the room with polluted oxygen.

What if the steam turbine was able to accept oxygen, polluted oxygen, and CO2 that are over 125C, but instead of them exiting the pipe, they are released into the room with the turbine?  This would really reduce general setup pain, but should be reasonably balanced, because it would require more cooling on the steam turbine, to counter the super-heated gas being released on it.  This gas would not generate power.

The weight of gasses has been changed in DLC.. oxygen is now heavier then steam. same goes for po2. 

I've build this in dlc to boil both saltwater and pwater. I was concerned about the po2, but after heating it up it became clear that the weights had changed. So no worries bro :)

I20201125231802_1.thumb.jpg.f768ec0a93aca9071296e7a627285eee.jpg

Start with clean or salt water use automation to make the pressure remains above 2kg (I think off the top of my head 1.8kg stops offgassing)

I put a hydro sensor on the floor to shut vent if liquid on floor (I think I had it at open below 1kg) with and gate to atmo sensor set to below 2.5 kg.

I had a nice set up where the aquatuner warmed steam from a cool steam vent through the turbine and while that was inactive it pumped water from a mixed pool through instead.

Only problem was if aquatuner wasn't working hard enough it sometimes stalled but you have a load of hot water out of it you can cool to keep it running.

Archived