Battery design for mixed large/smart

I avoided large batteries and went with only smart tied to each power generator type.  However between power slugs and solar, I see the need to manage a hybrid system with large for storage and smart for power backup.  However, smart batteries have 1/2 the capacity which makes this hard.  Even if you deplete smart to zero, the large are at 50%.  This means you are unable to fully deplete the large, and will waste energy without having a large number when generating.  What is a automated design that lets you manage the two battery types? Ideally, you turn on the power generators when large are at ~10% and turn off when large are at say 50%.

30 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Or just use Smart Batteries for storage since they have less energy run off and heat creation than Jumbo. 

Sure, refined metal can be troublesome at first, but is worth it in the end. 

Yah, I guess I was thinking capacity but throwing refined metal at it does solve the issue.

38 minutes ago, blakemw said:

The simple way is to have the Slugs/Solar Panels directly charge Jumbo Batteries, that dump their power onto the main grid via Transformers. The other generators with their Smart Batteries should be downstream of the Transformers.

I have always had generators on the upstream side of transformers.  The downside of putting them downstream is a large number of generating systems needed.  Might be OK for 1-2 circuits on coal but won't scale well.

4 minutes ago, chemie said:

I have always had generators on the upstream side of transformers.  The downside of putting them downstream is a large number of generating systems needed.  Might be OK for 1-2 circuits on coal but won't scale well.

You can always have a second tier of transformers.

Solar Panels w/ Jumbo Batteries -> Transformer -> Heavi-watt backbone with generators and smart batteries -> Transformers -> Distribution.

10 minutes ago, blakemw said:

Solar Panels w/ Jumbo Batteries -> Transformer -> Heavi-watt backbone with generators and smart batteries -> Transformers -> Distribution.

OK that makes sense.  Thanks

2 hours ago, blakemw said:

Swap them to Smart Batteries and that's exactly what I do in normal games since space really isn't an issue on non-DLC asteroids. 

Once I get into the alpha or beta (I skip coming to the forums for a few days and look what I missed), I might change my mind given the smaller asteroids where doubling capacity for the same space usage might be worth it. 

But for now, I'd rather have less run off and heat generation even if I'm doubling the space requirements and using (usually free due to metal volcanoes) refined metals. 

Archived