Troubles using weather pain against pearled crab king

Hi. Really sorry if this topic has been addressed before, I could not find it.

so I am trying to defeat the Crab king with pearl’s pearl. We are two players and we can manage pretty well the claws and the geysers. But when its about the healing phase, we struggle big time using the weather pain. The “use gadget” does not show up 80% of the time. I can’t figure out why. Without knowing the health status, I fear the king manages to heal totally at each phase. As the result, after 3 days fighting (8 purple gems), we run out of staff and lose. 

do you have any suggestion or advice? That’s the only boss I can not defeat and I can’t believe how hard it is on PS4 considering the altar is behind it. :-(

replace crab king with anything :). If you tried fuelweaver, same issue, weather pain is basically unusable(if there's anything else other than your intended target near).

I tried the same as you guys and couldn't cast it on him, character keeps focusing on random stuff no matter how clean my boat is at the start of the fight. Anyway i managed to defeat him as spiced-up wolfgang with just a dark sword, during rain; i used it to cancel the healing as well, it might not work as a weather pain but it cancels some. And the damage buff was enough to overcome it easily, if he even healed. Fight took about  3-4 minutes.

side note: i also tried using Sea Weeds, i saw an interesting method, but sadly my sea stalks we're a little too far from him and they didn't aggro on him. Quite a bit of time wasted, so if you ever try that method make sure one is close enough to aggro.

Thank you both for the feedback. Hopefully a QoL would improve the use of the weather pain on PS4.

As a first try we will change our characters to Wolfgang and see what happens. Then we’ll try the flingo if it is not enough.

if anybody has another set up to propose I’ll take it!

I personally built 20 Bunny hutches on the closest part of the shore and 'hired' them with a carrot each, then took them out across a boat bridge I had built to the Crab King and got them to do all the damage for me. I focused on using Ice Staffs to cancel his freeze attack, and my partner focused solely on repairing the boat with boat patches. (I tried to do this solo but just found it a little difficult to switch between fixing the boat and then targeting the Crab King again with all the Bunnymen in the way.)

This definitely felt like more of a brute force method, but it worked a charm.

I looked up the video of my fight, it took less than i remembered, just a little over 2 minutes without much setup required. I thought it might help so i posted it, here's the link :) 

Ignore the See Weeds around, just something i tried. You can see me attempt to use a weather pain at around 1:20, and my struggles with it. Also, no idea why I kept switching to the walking cane, I only realized how useless it is after the fight, but I'm so used to do that every fight that it didn't cross my mind.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the additional comments. I tried in the past the rabbits option but I struggle to kill the claws. At the end we both switched to Wolfgang, one of us kept hitting the king while healing (instead of prioritizing the claws) and we managed to kill him, quite easily actually. 
thanks for the support! 
and hopefully the weather pain will become easier to use on PS4 someday. 

Archived