[Server Help] Hosting through a provider, need some help.

Currently i am hosting my DST dedicated server through a provider based out of the US (however please note this provider has servers in the AU, EU, SA and JA) and from what i've been reading on my current issue, with how klei handles dedicated servers, they expect it to be hosted from a user and automatically assign the server region based on lowest ping, however im currently based in the AU and need to switch the server region over to AU manually, however i haven't found a way to do this and instead the master just auto connects to the US (due to the provider being based out of the US and subsequently the US servers giving the lowest ping), i was wondering if there was a command to manually switch the dedicated servers region to the AU region through the console, rather then have it auto connect to the US region, any ideas? unless there isn't an official klei AU region supported lol

11 hours ago, Ezekial said:

with how klei handles dedicated servers, they expect it to be hosted from a user

Citation needed. The whole point of dedicated servers was to allow users to separate the resource hog of running the world and move it somewhere else. After all, Klei is running their official servers presumably from a cloud, and not from their offices.

instead the master just auto connects to the US (due to the provider being based out of the US and subsequently the US servers giving the lowest ping)

1. This has been happening since forever. (And it's not even consistent - I've seen connections to Singapore, China and US servers more often than not.) It may make the server more difficult to find (I think the lobbies are separate, and the client downloads the more distant regions' server lists later), but not much else.
  2. Assuming you have the required ports open on the server side, the registration region has no effect on gameplay performance - clients prefer connecting to the server directly, then try NAT traversal, and only go via proxy when all else fails.

You can either check with your provider where the server is actually hosted, or do a traceroute to its IP address. To check if you have a direct connection to the server, connect to it as a player and check the logs for "client connected" - you should see your home address:

Client connected from <your home's public IP address>

i was wondering if there was a command to manually switch the dedicated servers region to the AU region through the console, rather then have it auto connect to the US region, any ideas?

Not that I'm aware of. You could blackhole the other region's ping servers but as explained above, the game's region selection is all over the place. The game doesn't control where the your provider places your server - that's up to you and the provider. You can safely ignore the game's logs - unless you care about being visible in the server browser in the right region, it makes no meaningful difference.

• Developer

Yes. This is something we need to improve messaging around as it seems to confuse users. The lobby you're listed in has NOTHING to do with your ping or anything gameplay related. The game is not sharded, which is why you can see all those China servers even when you're not in China.

Archived