how viable would "mini" worlds be?

would a world-gen that is half the size of "small" be something you'd like?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. you can choose more than one answer

• i would very much like an overworld(forest) that was half the size of "small" i do not care about cave(caves) size
    • i would very much like an overworld(forest) and caves(caves) that was half the size of "small"
    • i would very much like a caves(caves) that was half the size of "small" i do not care about overworld(forest) size
    • i would very much like an overworld(forest) that was half the size of "small" but not a caves(caves)
    • i would not like an overworld(forest) and caves(caves) that was half the size of "small"
    • i would very much like a caves(caves) that was half the size of "small" but not an overworld(forest)
    • i do not care about the size of the world-gen
    • i would much prefer a larger option than "huge" for the overworld(forest)
    • i would much prefer a larger option than "huge" for the overworld(forest) and for caves(caves)
    • i would much prefer a larger option than "huge" for the caves(caves)
    • i do not play on a system that allows for changes to the world-gen size

so there is a problem already with some systems not being able to run both an overworld and a cave at the same tme without lag, there are issues with some play styles not needing an over world or a caves outside of boss fights and there are just some people(like me) who enjoy turning many/all of the generation toggles up and are held back by the 2gig limitation. a "mini" world would alleviate some of these issues by making the world itself much smaller and less resource intensive  so that people(who have the option to) can choose more customized worlds without a severe dip in quality or having to be limited to default or barren worlds

Spoiler

default "small" overworld(forest shard)

image.thumb.png.2c4772dcd0507caed0d4b6b9d4ab2a71.png

default "small" caves (caves shard)

image.thumb.png.cd6f84630b600a81e83f67fc230a7ba0.png

what are your opinions? would a much smaller world option be something that is desired? would you actually be willing to play with the world-gen toggles if it wouldnt ruin the framerate or lock you out of social play?

Yeah, I for one would really fancy not only worlds that are 1/2 of current "Small" setting or 2x "Huge" setting, but even micro-worlds that are 1/4 or less, as well as 4x "Huge" or far more. Likewise I would like a lot if WorldGen had special customization around type of biomes (for example I would desire to play a Desert-and-Mosaic-only map), or even tweak landmass' shape, spawners etc. In past I've played a particular community server named "Catcoon Island" that was basically a micro Birch Biome with 3-5 Catcoon Dens, a micro DF desert with 3-5 Tumbleweed spawners, a micro Mosaic with 1 Meteor Field, and a dangerous maze akin Ruin's Labyrinth with loot (also a Pig House, a Spider Den, a MacTusk spawner and some other minor stuff in there) - mainly was an exercise in hardcore survival: one's choice how would go at this challenge (spoiler: vast majority failed long-term runs) - the idea is I would murder DF with bare fists if such settings would be added to WorldGen.

I've gotten used to Huge worlds (the standard PC version size) for two reasons:  I LOVE exploring.  Love it.  I don't want to run out of world to discover too quickly.

And secondly, I tend to use mods that put things in at world-gen? and I find that larger worlds give the new stuff a chance to spread out evenly with the original stuff, so things aren't too crowded and silly-looking.  With a huge world, I _can_ have regular berry bushes along with pineapple bushes, apple trees, potatoes and radishes and onions in the ground, and it still looks pretty okay.  (I like having more variety of fruits and veggies around.)

There's also that mod for Giant size but I forget how big it is compared to "regular" Huge...I only tried it once and didn't get very far in that world before I realised I'd messed up _other_ world-gen settings and had to restart.  Whoops.  

...Notorious

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Yeah, I for one would really fancy not only worlds that are 1/2 of current "Small" setting or 2x "Huge" setting, but even micro-worlds that are 1/4 or less, as well as 4x "Huge" or far more. Likewise I would like a lot if WorldGen had special customization around type of biomes (for example I would desire to play a Desert-and-Mosaic-only map), or even tweak landmass' shape, spawners etc. In past I've played a particular community server named "Catcoon Island" that was basically a micro Birch Biome with 3-5 Catcoon Dens, a micro DF desert with 3-5 Tumbleweed spawners, a micro Mosaic with 1 Meteor Field, and a dangerous maze akin Ruin's Labyrinth with loot (also a Pig House, a Spider Den, a MacTusk spawner and some other minor stuff in there) - mainly was an exercise in hardcore survival: one's choice how would go at this challenge (spoiler: vast majority failed long-term runs) - the idea is I would murder DF with bare fists if such settings would be added to WorldGen.

ooof, i would love to solo play something like that, right now i have my worlds broken up into islands but it really isnt the same

Actually I think this is a quite lovely idea @gaymime as an Xbox One player I think even smaller worlds would (hopefully) decrease lag and at the same time: Allow me deeper choices beyond just Default, Less or None.

I can totally live with Smaller worlds if it meant I had more control over my worlds customization.

And also- there are a ton of features in this game that I don’t touch, and I also don’t care to EVER touch honestly..

Spoiler

For example NEXT WEEK when the new Hallowed Nights update releases on Xbox (hopefully there won’t be a delay.. :( ) The FIRST thing I plan to do is go directly to the in-game store and buy the new Halloween Belongings Chest that contains Creepy Cauldron, Macabre Birdcage, Hallowed Light and Batling.

Its that last one however I won’t EVER get to actually use- I have never managed to kill Dragonfly.. and the ingredients required in making this Broodling pet requires fighting Dragonfly.. since there’s no other place in the entire game to get the Larvae enemy from.

Unless this is seen as some sort of bragging achievement or status symbol (what the statues were used for I thought..) then I don’t see why the CRITTERS have to be tied to fighting a completely optional boss.

Klei may have plans to update these critters to actually be useful, but as they stand now they’re just cute little purely cosmetic companions

To avoid making this thread off-topic I’m putting my little rant in the spoiler above.But My point is If I could turn off the things I don’t care for (like Dragonfly), to increase MORE of the things I DO care for (by having an overall resource limit like how players of Fortnite only has so much space allowed in Creative Mode to build with) Then the game would be a lot more enjoyable to not just me... but a large variety of players.

Want to turn off features like Insanity, dying of Hunger, Freezing and focus entirely upon Creative Base Building? Why not..? Klei themselves are the actual designers of NO SWEAT MODE.. So why isn’t it an option in the game for people who just want to mega base care free? Want your game to be much much HARDER?? There should be more options for that too, And if the size of my overall world has to be much smaller in size to get deeper customization- I think that’s a fair trade don’t you?

Archived