Allow us to build tiles over heavi-watt joint plate ends

I regularly build vacuums and contained atmospheres that require a lot of power.  If I wanted to change a wall type protecting a vacuum, I would just add a tile to prevent any gas from slipping in.  However, this isn't an option with the heavi-watt joint plate, which requires that their bridge end points not be tiles. 

This goes both ways, as sometimes I want to remove a heavi-watt joint plate without breaking the vacuum.

Could you make it so that we can build tiles over the ends of a heavi-watt joint plate (assuming there is no heavi-watt wire there) and also let us build heavi-watt joint plates with the end points in tiles?

The same limitation plagues me as well, but that would defeat the whole premise of a joint plate.  The reason you need it in the first place is because you can't run a heavi wire through a wall.

What I would like to see though, is an insulating joint plate.  Perhaps with ceramic?.  Being made completely out of metal, they are the exact opposite and wreak havoc in my colonies. 

20 minutes ago, Misca said:

The same limitation plagues me as well, but that would defeat the whole premise of a joint plate.  The reason you need it in the first place is because you can't run a heavi wire through a wall.

What I would like to see though, is an insulating joint plate.  Perhaps with ceramic?.  Being made completely out of metal, they are the exact opposite and wreak havoc in my colonies. 

My issue is with the construction of joint plates, not the use of them.  I think it's fine that the ends have to be open when they are connected to heavi-watt wires.  And even that they are conductive.

My issue is that when you replace a wall with another kind of wall, including the heavi-watt joint plate, for a split second there is no wall.  This allows gas in to vacuums or it can dump lava on my dupes.  This is usually OK because you can build tiles to block this, but you can't with heavi-watt joint plates.

In the picture below, I want to replace the tiles between my vacuum on the left and high pressure CO2 on the right.  With the insulated tile, I can build a tile to protect my vacuum for the split second the insulated tile is replacing the normal tile and the wall doesn't exist, but I can't with the heavi-watt joint plate.

I am not saying that you should be able to use the joint plate in this state.  The heavi-watt wires can't exist under tiles, so it makes perfect sense that you can't run a wire to it while the tile is in place.  But you can remove the tile afterward and then connect a wire.  I'm saying that if there is no wire connecting it, I should be able to build tiles covering the ends.

image.thumb.png.cd121f848871b1d2dcfd99028ca1bdc1.png

I shall shamelessly plug a post I made a while ago that kinda has something like this

I also find it fun that you can build a joint plate right next to unmined materials and the bridge joint plate ends will be embedded in the space that would correspond to a joint plate end (where the wire goes).

Ah, ok, now I see what you mean.  Yeah, it is annoying that you are able to build some things that violate build rules and get an error once it's built, but for other things you can even build it.  I guess it all comes down to this still being a work in progress.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:06 PM, Zarquan said:

I regularly build vacuums and contained atmospheres that require a lot of power.  If I wanted to change a wall type protecting a vacuum, I would just add a tile to prevent any gas from slipping in.  However, this isn't an option with the heavi-watt joint plate, which requires that their bridge end points not be tiles. 

This goes both ways, as sometimes I want to remove a heavi-watt joint plate without breaking the vacuum.

Could you make it so that we can build tiles over the ends of a heavi-watt joint plate (assuming there is no heavi-watt wire there) and also let us build heavi-watt joint plates with the end points in tiles?

We need this, yea.
I would like them to take this one step further too.
Right now the joint plate acts kind of like a wire bridge for heavy watt wires.
What about having a single joint plate that has only one plug, or no plugs at all?
It would act like a pass through for heavy watt wires.
Like this: Building_Heavi-Watt_Joint_Plate.png.20b0e45e7e7c61d34addba65ed6d88c5.png

Archived