Pip Eggs and Other Weird Stuff

So, somehow, my Pip laid an egg INSIDE the screen door.  Is there a way we could either make this happen reliably, or prevent it from happening at all?

image.png.44c02afa6507c79dc9e4da6ebb19bef1.png

If the pip can't go through the door, how did the egg get there?

In other weird news, there is liquid circulation of a sort within high-pressure liquids.  I haven't determined the math behind it, but I can replicate it.

image.thumb.png.84701c99327da988b4fc8889d4e1368a.png

In this particular case, you see that the upper left corner is at 11739.9kg.  The upper right corner is 1203.7kg, lower left is 4044.9kg, and 1215.7kg in the lower right.  If nothing is happening, it will settle out where all four will evenly distribute to have 4551kg of polluted water.  If the pump is running, or water is being added, then the water will compress more strongly into a square, and the other three will be lesser.. and the "knot" of high pressure liquid will oscillate around between some of the squares.

This is very similar to the behavior I remember seeing in high-pressure magma pools below the oil zone.  Have others made similar observations? Is there a rule driving this that we can use?

I honestly am as curious as you are with regards to what could be happening. 

However, the manual airlocks kind of seem reminiscent to some post i saw regarding a tutorial on escher waterfalls or something?  Not sure though. 

Could be related. But i know just about enough to be very comfortable with the game, but too little to be able to decipher what mind of anvanced ONI math and/or mechanics could be going on. 

No doubt some of the unholy godlike minds of oni can help you with this

On 8/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, KittenIsAGeek said:

the "knot" of high pressure liquid will oscillate around between some of the squares

High pressure liquids like to push upwards.  Generally, you'll find the super high pressure stuff on the top (happens in the oil biome too).  This thread only discusses a single tile of high pressure stuff, and I have not got around to part 2 yet. If you want to decipher multi-layered high pressure expansion, I'd love to see the results.  I'm going to guess it is completely predictable, and you could probably decipher it in sandbox with a little data collection. :) Fun part I have noticed is that you can find liquids pushing diagonally upwards around corners, but that only seems to happen if the pressure does not get too high. There is still tons of fun stuff to be learned in the high pressure realm in ONI. For many, the entire fact that it exists is an "exploit", so the pool of potential explorers is already greatly shrunk. I might even join in the fray if work abates and I get sucked in. 

On 8/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, KittenIsAGeek said:

Is there a way we could either make this happen reliably, or prevent it from happening at all

You can use stacked liquids, instead of a pneumatic door, to stop the pip from climbing the wall.  Then the egg will never end up in the door.  This is what I do nowadays. 

6 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Generally, you'll find the super high pressure stuff on the top

That has been my observation as well.  In the magma biome, I've watched the knot move around within the pool, and it trends towards the top of the confined area, but sometimes spins down in the middle areas.

6 hours ago, mathmanican said:

For many, the entire fact that it exists is an "exploit"

Which part? High-pressure mechanics or that we can create our own and aren't limited to the initial high-pressure pools of magma or liquids inside geodes?  IIRC, wasn't the 'escher waterfall' phenomenon discovered because someone posted a map where water was dripping out of one room into a pool and pushing the water up and out the other side and we all started trying to figure out why that was happening?  

Anyway.. I've been far too busy lately.  Haven't been getting enough of my ONI fix.  Hopefully in the next month or so things will slow down and I'll have more time.

Archived