Panicked pets should return to you

Pets are a big investment: they could cost hundreds of gold if bought from the Beastmaster, require training to become fully useful, upgrading em costs money, and they require protection and healing in combat as well. And yet, when a pet that you've spent hundreds upon hundreds of gold on to train and keep alive panics in combat, they are permanently lost. This punishment is unnecessarily harsh.

As such, I believe pets that panicked and ran away in combat should return to you at the end of the day, after you've defeated that day's final boss and completed whatever active quests there were. That way they get the benefit of being healed to full overnight, ready to deploy the next day, along with an option of visiting the Beastmaster should you decide to, uh, make some changes.

Currently there’s a chance you will get an opportunity to rescue them from wild animals. That’s the only way to get them back. I agree that it would be nice if it was a bit easier to recover them. That being said, you do have the option to keep them in the bar, if you expect to run into a difficult fight where they might run away (cf Oolo boss battle, etc).

I only have over a 100 hours in Griftlands and have never gotten that event. Granted, I've only seen the training event a single time, too. Tying the pet mechanics with Opportunities seems counter-intuitive either way, given the amount of effort pets require and that Beastmaster exists.

The opportunity can only happen if you don’t currently have another (replacement) pet. In my experience it happens roughly one day after losing the pet, but it’s not guaranteed. Pet training, however, reliably appears within one or two opportunities of getting the pet for Sal; Rook can’t train pets.

I’m ok with the way Training works. But I agree with you that pet recovery could be handled better.

Archived