Why do characters attack sea weeds when they have an Oar out?

Considering the formation of seaweeds is basically just a bunch of sea stacks, you navigate it the same way, with an oar. Pair this with the fact that sea weeds are neutral until you pick their barnacles during daytime (and your not playing Wormwood), it feel like a bit of an oversight that when clicking the button that would be used to harvest anything else, you character just goes out and attacks them instead, not to mention the fact that attacking something with an ore is just an option I don't think many would consciously choose in the first place.

It just seems weird and feels clunky having to de-equip and re-equip the oar for every seaweed that you wish to harvest, and forgetting to do so can end up with causing you character to effectively kill themselves. I feel like the solution to this would be to make the initial action of using the action button (left click in my case) over a non-hostile sea weed to be "harvest" when you have an oar in your hands, and if you really want to go ahead and attack it with an oar (for whatever reason) use the force attack action. And if it's like this because the oar is considered like a weapon in the games coding, just changing it so using the action button over a non-hostile sea weed will cause your character to attempt to harvest, and to use the force attack action if you want to go in with initiating a fight.

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I thought they were harvested with a razor?

You can harvest them with your hands, but it will wake them up and they'll attack you.

Unless you're Wormwood, then you can harvest them as much as you want.

Oars are a "weapon", and Sea Weeds can be attacked so the attack action is prioritized.

I do agree itd be nice if you had the Harvest action prioritized instead, and having to force attack when it's in its calm state.

Archived