slaughterhouse

Think it will be nice to add slaughterhouse room, where dupes will automatically attack them.

All auto-kill creatures tricks look like a hack with water, not sure it was done intentionally, most probably nobody think about such room.

2 hours ago, degr said:

All auto-kill creatures tricks look like a hack

Why? There is no exploits involved in killing critters by drowning them or starving them to death - just pure use of their mechanics.

2 hours ago, degr said:

most probably nobody think about such room

Or it didn't fit the thematics of the game. Yeah, despite game having meat products as mid-high tier food, there is a chance that tools that explicitly promote convinient/non-emergency ways of critter slaughter do not exist because it may affect game image, or it's age rating, or may simply upset some groups of people. So there is meat, but the ways you would consistently produce it are products of your own creativity, and devs have no responsibility for it :p

That being said, I think that slaughterhouses would be inferior to automated killing schemes. Having things done without distracting dupes from other work is the goal in may areas of the game, critter ranching not being different.

because it may affect game image

Lol, why? Game already promote to kill baby-critters, because they drop same amount of meat as adult, and they did not damage your dupes during fight. Also there is already "attack creatures" button, why not to make it automatically? Also it could be done by many ways, such as injection or robominer or anything else what you can imagine.

simply upset some groups of people

Such groups of people may not build this room

I think that slaughterhouses would be inferior to automated killing schemes

Of course not, because you will just build door, "slaughterhouse" building and deliver eggs there. No need to make something weird with water, doors, automation etc. It will just allow you to forgot about sending "attack" command to your dupes

47 minutes ago, degr said:

Of course not, because you will just build door, "slaughterhouse" building and deliver eggs there.

The initial concept involved dupes attacking critters,

4 hours ago, degr said:

where dupes will automatically attack them.

so a thing that requires additional dupe interaction (attacking) is worse than one that doesn't (automated drowning). If it wouldn't require an additional errand - that would be another story. I doubt that complexity of building the setup is a relevant metrics, because it's something you have to figure out once and just occasionally reproduce.

47 minutes ago, degr said:

Lol, why? Game already promote to kill baby-critters, because they drop same amount of meat as adult, and they did not damage your dupes during fight.

Well, to my knowledge, there is no in-game tutorial, verbose hint, or building that states that. Technically, game does not tell you that information and promote it. Anyway, the whole "people could be upset" part is just a theory about why there is no automated Attack Errand Generator. It has as much right to exist as assumption about nobody thought about adding slaughterhouses before. And, personally, I'm not even agains adding one. I just said that there may be the reason why slaughterhouse building does not exits. And pointed out that an existing alternative is more efficient from the dupe labour perspective.

In my experience, critters are much more useful for their beneficial traits than as a food source.  Additionally, when they die of old age, you get same meat you would have gotten by killing them.  I've been playing ONI for over 2 years and the only critter I have intentionally killed was a Vole who kept pooping 600 degree regolith on my solar panels and destroying them.  He had to go...

Misca

In my experience, critters are much more useful for their beneficial traits than as a food source

Dunno, think I have too much critters, 11 hatch farms which constantly produce coal and eggs. Think I build around 20 coal generators, but can't  go lower then 1200 tonns of coal. I transfer their meat and eggs in same room, and if I forgot to kill them, they eat meat, which come from dead hatches from farms.

Same with slicksters, sometimes they eat all CO2, and I kill more then half of them just to keep population.

critters.thumb.jpg.fbf6c95ad282dee66456d4c3e3b7b389.jpg

As you can see, I split room in two parts, and kill half of hatches and catch another half to keep population on normal level. Soon I will make transition from hatches to stone hatches, because soon I will be out of their food, and each such fight will be dangerous, because stone hatch can kill a dupe. In same time, if I there will be a room, this situation will never happen, because dupes will kill critters just after their born.

Actually, absolutely have no problems with shove volleys, drekkons or slicksters. They did not eat meat, so I can wait while they die. Especially with shove volleys, because there is no problems with room size.

volleys.jpg

so a thing that requires additional dupe interaction (attacking) is worse than one that doesn't (automated drowning)

Agree, but I have enough dupes to do that.

Wow, I was trying to figure out how you could possible be at risk of  running out of food after only 600 cycles, then I saw how many dups you have.  Perhaps you should start killing them off!  My biggest colony was about 24 dups and that was too many.  I am maintaining my current colony at 12, and that seems to be about right.  At least for me.

I don't know if this would work, and it's pretty cruel, but...  What if you built a critter drop off underwater with no way for them to get out.  Then select the victim(s) and set the auto wrangle at 20.

As for protecting the meat.  Build a ration box, set it to store meat and set the priority to 9.  Dups will pick up the meat as soon as it drops and put it in the ration box.  If you put the ration box low in your base so it is submerged in CO2, the meat won't spoil.  Alternatively, just set your grill on continuous BBQ and set it to priority 9.

Misca

8 hours ago, Misca said:

What if you built a critter drop off underwater with no way for them to get out.

It would get flooded and wouldn't work.

8 hours ago, Misca said:

As for protecting the meat.  Build a ration box, set it to store meat and set the priority to 9.  Dups will pick up the meat as soon as it drops and put it in the ration box.  If you put the ration box low in your base so it is submerged in CO2, the meat won't spoil.  Alternatively, just set your grill on continuous BBQ and set it to priority 9.

Or just build a bunch of autosweepers and conveyor system.

The building probably shouldn`t be called a slaughterhouse but something like "meat extractor". It would simplify how critter population is handled and enable options like removing only elderly critters or at a certain age. The current tools don`t give use an option like this.

Archived