Is there any good reason for automation filter/buffers to follow frames instead of real game-time?

Hi, I was enjoying the game for about 1500 cycles and then encountered some unpleasant experience due to some game mechanic.

I found every single automation system using buffer and filter become more and more breaking down as my base getting more complexity.. Of course I can understand that CPU cannot just deal with everything at the same time, but I don't get such problem with timer-sensor (which seems to be always reliable).

I usually use long-time buffer and timer for 2 reasons : one for energy conserving incubator, and the other for meteor-scanner and bunker door. and both became useless as late-game comes. Incubator automation which I set to reactivate at 1 cycle(600s) after being lullabied by dupes started to reactivate after about 400s. Bunker door which was set to get closed at 160s after scanner got signal started to get closed at about 120s after the signal.

Latter one was too critical since such malfunction usually caused re-opening of bunker door right after it get closed - which leads to free-meteor-party time(which is always heartbreaking). So I had to rebuild my whole automation setup on bunker doors with one using timer-sensor. And it seems to become reliable for now.

After the series of experience I explained above, I came with conclusion that frame-based buffer/filter is such an unpleasant trap for users, since it "says" it can delay a signal on time-based setting - which is not.

So I strongly recommend to roll-back game mechanic of buffer/filter gate into time-based again. Or at least change the unit from seconds to DTU(Duplicant Time Unit) or something in the buffer/filter gates - which is obviously lying at this moment.

It's actually based on Logic Ticks which happen once every 100ms, buuuut, the problem is other things can trigger logic ticks, which I'm guessing is the cause of the issue. I actually made a mod that adds 2 new gates that you can use to replace the malfunctioning buffer/filter gates that I posted on Github but it's still a work in progress so I haven't posted it on the workshop yet.

8 hours ago, blennus said:

It's actually based on Logic Ticks which happen once every 100ms, buuuut, the problem is other things can trigger logic ticks, which I'm guessing is the cause of the issue. I actually made a mod that adds 2 new gates that you can use to replace the malfunctioning buffer/filter gates that I posted on Github but it's still a work in progress so I haven't posted it on the workshop yet.

Sounds very interesting. I'll look forward to it. and Thanks for the detailed information.

Archived