To Mod Or Not To Mod

Good day, fellas. I am actually curious, how many of you play with mods ? Back in a day I played with mods like Combined Status, Display Food Values etc but then i just understood that this is not right. It makes the game so much easier while the game is supposed to PUNISH you. I only play vanilla since. Your thoughts ?

I play with quality-of-life mods. By that I mean, it's things that are available in the game if you pay attention, click on something, or stuff I could write down on paper to track. 

Combined Status is one of them - instead of moving my mouse to hover over icons and tell me what's happening, it just displays it. I don't use temperature though. Wormhole Marks is another. Ice Flingomatic Range Check and Geometric Placement are two more. I also use Minimap HUD early game while I'm uncovering the map initially, but after the first year or so, I don't bother.   

Two that I've saved but haven't actually played with yet are: Meteors! and Mushroom Farms. I really like both of those things that were introduced in DST. Mushroom Farms isn't really necessary, it's just neat. Meteors I really like because I'd rather not have to jump through the Teleportato or spend my time grinding in the caves for earthquakes to get more rocks/flint. I just wanna keep playing my main world and see if one day I can actually make a nifty mega-base.    

I have also been playing with Minimap HUD and Combined Status and others but then I just thought that it would be just nice to play the game how the Klei wanted us to and I really enjoyed it more. Even though it is really harder that way but that what makes DS really beautiful and challenging - the fact that you can only rely on yourself.

it depends on what you want out of the game, i suppose

as for me though mods are mandatory. i just cannot enjoy the game without them. in particular hats for pigs, customize my character and insight. i want my meat to last forever, my pig friends to have cute headwear without me decimating the local flower population and my wes to get taken out by a single tallbird peck if i am too careless. it is fun for me

it can, i suppose but i always have multiple chests of bundled food in solo and now full meat stacks going to rot in multiplayer when playing vanilla so starving generally isn't my problem after the third or fourth day. if i can keep food fresh forever i can set my character to also drain hunger stupid fast as well which keeps me working(if i have 30 meat and 8 veg i am forced to either hunt down every mushroom within a days walk or agitate enough bees to take down a full pig village so i can do something with it). in particular my most played game has me needing to consume about 3 meatballs every 8 minutes(i let my health get down to between 10 and 20 between meals) so that i can keep from literally starving to death and i must confess i've gotten close a few times. it also gives me something to do during down-times since i am not much of a baser and tend to wander until my invo is full and i have to go home or start ditching things and it keeps me from living off of berries and morsels

Archived