Question About Bolts

Hi guys, I want to buy three locked characters (Wortox, Wurt and Wormwood). It says that they cost 2750 spools each. When I go to shop it says I can buy bolts. What is the difference between spools and bolts? 

Happy surviving.

30 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

You can weave the characters for free with spools, but to make purchases in the DST shop you need to buy bolts, then use the bolts to buy the characters.

At least I think that's the deal.

So....it's just an extra step? I was also wondering what the purpose of bolts were. I thought I would be able to make bolts with enough spools to buy the items, but then I saw they were sold for actual money to buy the items with. 

I think I would prefer (if the items are going to be cash only) to simply have a price for each item. That way I omit the extra step and also don't end up having left over bolts that may be too few to purchase something else with...that would feel like wasted money :/

Plus, I had to stop buying digital content with cash due to psn selling me stuff without delivering it.

That's just my thoughts, anyway.

1 hour ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

You can weave the characters for free with spools, but to make purchases in the DST shop you need to buy bolts, then use the bolts to buy the characters.

At least I think that's the deal.

So, let's say I buy a pack that has 12000 bolts, does that mean I get 12000 spools?

No, I think different purchase options cost different bolt values that don't necessarily correspond to their spool values, and I don't think you can straight buy spools.

I'm currently at work and I'm not 100% about all of this, but I think thats the deal.

Edit: they're basically an in game currency, something like Gold in Clash of Clans.

I think I get it now. So you unravel items that you have to acquire spools and then, once you reached 2750 spools, you can buy a character for spools. Also, you can use real money to buy bolts and then buy a pack in the shop that contains the character in it. 

They added this as a way of offering console players the same skins that pc has, prior to the Bolts, Skins could only be purchased in specific dlc pack bundles, now you can buy the skins directly, Bolts are a form of in game currency just like You spend money in Apex Legends to buy Apex Tokens.. You actually end up having a few extra bolts left over after buying something- which can then be saved and used somewhere else.

Bolts are NOT Spools, they are not even the same type of currency at all... You can not Weave Bolts either.. And prior to the Bolt rework you could pay 4.99$ for Woodies Canadian belongings set, But now you can buy the 5$ bolt chest then buy the Canadian chest with those bolts and Still have bolts left over to accumulate and spend elsewhere on future purchases.

I did this to claim Wendy’s belonging set plus one of the skins I wanted during her refresh.

The TL:DR- it’s a way to get more content for the same price you would’ve paid for it anyway.

This Bolts System allows Klei to completely ignore Microsoft and Sony’s Certification process anytime they want to add a few new skins to the game. They can also put the skins on a Bolt Discount like they did with Wendy’s Refresh... etc.

Archived