Survival Minor Volcano + Leaky Oil Fissure Petrol boiler full design

Hi there !

I'm not really used to it, but since I'm extremely proud of it, I wanted to share with you my petrol boiler design based on a minor volcano and a leaky oil fissure and entirely made in Survival Mode on a Rime asteroid. Note that it's a post-space design, since it uses some Insulation, Thermium, Super Coolant and even a little bit of Visco-Gel. Here we go :

General Design :

Spoiler

General.thumb.jpg.9024f1aa7ce8a22963b7678f1dd2f1ac.jpg

General design with legend :

Spoiler

General_legend.thumb.jpg.e3be9fb5e31e59837f77ff931be4b07e.jpg

Basically, the design serves two puposes : generating electricity (A) thanks to the Minor Volcano's heat (E) and, with the spared thermal energy, boiling Crude Oil from the Leaky Oil Fissure (K) in Petrol and then in Sour Gas. The Gas is then pumped (H), pre-cooled (G) and then condensed in liquid Methane and Sulfur (F) before being slightly reheated (J) to be stored as Natural Gas (C).

The power grid :

Spoiler

Electricity.thumb.jpg.264a3e2cc94eb244454a38ca3e20ade4.jpg

Not much to say here.

Metals overlay :

Spoiler

Metal.thumb.jpg.7920419485fe926d98660f47ffbaec10.jpg

As I was dealing with extreme temperatures, I had to take care of the materials I would use. Thermal conductivity is granted thanks to Tungsten and Wolframite. Those became my go-to metals for Metal Tiles, Mechanized Airlocks, High Pressure Gas Vents, Conductive wires and Automation Elements and wires (B, E, F, G, I and K), though I also used some Thermium for machineries with a high risk of overheating (Gas Pumps in G and K, Gas Tanks in H)... Sour Gas in K being able to reach 550°C ! All Radiant Pipes were made of Aluminium as well as, in B, Tempshift Plates, Heavy Conductive Wires and Heavy-Watt Conductive Joint Plates. Aquatuners were made of Steel, which is an interesting alternative if you don't have any Wolframite and Tungsten. Anything else that is not submitted to high temperatures is made of whatever I had under hand : Gold Amalgam, Iron Ore, Copper Ore, Iron and even Lead (A, C, D, J).

Mineral overlay :

Spoiler

Mineral.thumb.jpg.2ac0dbaa90f8d6f21595c791221b6383.jpg

Here again I had to be careful with the materials I wanted to use, though it was certainly less critical than for the metals. Ceramic is doing a great job most of the time, so it became my  go-to insulated material. I also used a little bit of Igneous Rock for my Insulated Tiles in A and J. I also used a lot if Insulation in D and F, though I could have used a little bit less. Only the Insulated Pipe between F and J and the last bit of Insulated Gas Pipe between G and F had to be in Insulation. The rest could have been made in Ceramic if I didn't care about wasting a little bit of energy. Just had to take care not to freeze the Visco-Gel at the entrance of D.

EDIT : Drywalls and Tempshift plates in D, G, H, I and K are made of Obsidian and Tempshift plates in A, F and J are made of Sedimentary Rock.

Gas Overlay :

Spoiler

Gas.thumb.jpg.be2481bc2395242ef8ad761f82b366fc.jpg

Not much to say here. A is filled with Hydrogen (here at a 2 Kg pressure), B is filled with Steam (25~30 Kg of pressure), everything else inside must be absolutely void of Gas in order to maintain a perfect insulation.

Liquid Pipes :

Spoiler

761068358_LiquidPipes.thumb.jpg.cb1d8e3310af52d0beac97abbf90d0e5.jpg

Using Super Coolant in A allowed me to use less the rightmost Aquatuner in B. Leftmost Aquatuner cools Super Coolant too, for obvious reasons. Since I wasn't sure if Super Coolant would boil in its pipes, I went for a pre-cooling in G, using Petrol. Turns out, when the reaction is on, the middle Aquatuner is almost always on, given how fast Petrol rises in temperature.

Gas Pipes Overlay :

Spoiler

354567431_GasPipes.thumb.jpg.57d9f53f40d4e9ca157e1c8d24689e07.jpg

Not much to say, except that, the first time I set up the reaction, it took less than 15 cycles to completely fill the Gas Nat Gas Tanks.

Automation Overlay :

Spoiler

Automation.thumb.jpg.1df009b3823d5aaef5fc4e6f0dae070a.jpg

The big part.

A : All Steam Turbines are connected to a Smart Battery. High Threshold : 100%. Low Threshold : 10%. There's a Liquid Pipe Thermo Sensor at the right of the room (not visible in this screenshot), set to activate if liquid inside is above -10°C which controls the rightmost Aquatuner in B.

B : Three Thermo Sensors and stuff. The leftmost Thermo Sensor is set to activate if under 125°C. The signal is then hold for 1000 seconds by the successive Filter Gates before sending a notification reminding me that no power has been generated for more than 1000 seconds. The second Thermo Sensor is set to activate if above 200°C, which controls the Mechanized Airlocks between B and E (in order not to waste any thermal energy, since turbines only need steam at 200°C to generate 850W if all slots are opened). The third Thermo Sensor is similar to the previous one and controls the "auxiliary rod" in I, along with the Thermo Sensor in K.

D : Switches control the Airlocks allowing to access E. Despite the absence of atmosphere in D, I've kept the old habit of the "Three Airlocks Insulation". The timer has a total duration equals to the complete activity + idle cycle of the volcano and reminds me to mine and clean Igneous Rock in E one cycle before an eruption.

F: Liquid Pipe Thermo Sensor is set to activate if Liquid is above -176°C in order to efficiently condensate the Sour Gas. An emergency switch allows me to deactivate the Liquid Pump for whatever reason that would force me to do so.

G : The Gas Pump will activate if temperature is under 300°C and will deactivate if it reaches 400°C. There again, an emergency switch controls the opening of the High Pressure Gas Vent.

H : The two switches control the opening of the two Mechanized Airlocks granting access to K.

I : see K.

J : Space Heaters will activate if the temperature is under -50°C and deactivate if above -20°C, mainly not to freeze/liquefy the environment outside. The Gas Pump will activate only above a pressure of 100g, in order not to risk any overheating damage to the Space Heaters.

K : The Thermo Sensor is set to activate if above 542°C, thus 3.1°C above petrol vaporization point. If so, the leftmost Mechanized Airlock in I opens, preventing any waste of temperature. Additionally, it will also close the rightmost Mechanized Airlock in order to evacuate a little bit of heat in B.

Conveyor Overlay :

Spoiler

Conveyor.thumb.jpg.1144da7e07542cc5d88f58afec830a87.jpg

The last one. Sulfur is evacuated from F with an Autosweeper and a Conveyor Loader to a hot Water reservoir, waiting for me to find something useful to do with it. Igneous Rock mined in the Volcano Chamber between eruptions is loaded in D and dumped in K where it will accelerate or maintain petrol's heating. If the temperature in K drops enough to halt the reaction and all Sour Gas is pumped, Dupes can then clean the debris and dump them elsewhere to cool a little bit more.

As a final word I would say it was the first time I made such a design and it was extremely fun to plan and construct it, best part being, of course to see it running. It is far from being perfect, but I hope it will help and give some ideas to people not knowing what to do with those volcanoes. As I already said, everything has been built in Survival, without any use of Sandbox of Debug tools... So if I could do it, why not you ? ;)

See ya and cheers to everyone !

PS : if you have any question, please ask, I'll happily try to answer :)

Archived