Jump to content

my maxwell rework wish list revised


Recommended Posts

if maxwell gets the next character rework (please klei im calling out to you) i want him to function more like he does in Don't Starve, instead of needing to drop the codex he can simply read it to summon a "blank" shadow minion, blank meaning it has no role and will simply follow after the player but can be given something to give it a role, all the basic ones we have chopper, miner, digger and duelist but what if he could give them a backpack to give it the ability to carry things for you or pick things up for you (of course it'd have a filtering system so you can make it so it wont pick certain things up) and also PLEASE make it so they can wear things like miner hats or things like that or armor so duelists can stand a hint of a chance against things and please remove the broken kiting system that duelists use. what would the cost to reading it be? it should pull 2 nightmare fuel from your inventory per read and -15% max sanity for any puppet but it should have a limit to how many you can have and -5 hp upon read or none at all.
upon killing a shadow minion it should drop whatever you put on it or gave it while returning the 1 fuel.
and maybe give maxwell that +20/min sanity regen back or summin (also make it so he can make first level magic crafts or his own magic crafts because we need a magic character and he does say the shadow manipulator is his preferred work station)
what are your guys' thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, he. said:

-snip-

Just admit you want classoc Maxwell back. All but one of your changes essentially just revert him back to his classic form. In specifcs however..

39 minutes ago, he. said:

instead of needing to drop the codex he can simply read it to summon a "blank" shadow minion, blank meaning it has no role and will simply follow after the player but can be given something to give it a role

This actually makes it much more annoying then you think. You would have to make the puppet, properly target the correct puppet, and then give them the tool just to get them to work. The current system goes drop the book, make the puppet with the tool, thats it. I don't understand the hatred of needing to drop the book on the ground, if you are really that paranoid you can just pick it back up when someone else gets near. Of all the changes that Maxwell needs, this isn't even on the list as it just makes the players more complex for no reason.

39 minutes ago, he. said:

give them a backpack

How? Any route of selecting the backpack either removes or closes the backpack, you literly can't select it no matter what you do. I assume you want more puppets, but it is literlly impossible to select a backpack to give.

39 minutes ago, he. said:

PLEASE make it so they can wear things like miner hats or things like that or armor so duelists can stand a hint of a chance against things and please remove the broken kiting system that duelists use

Or just give duelists thier own armor upon creation? Normal workers don't need armor so this change would only effect the duelists, and so instead of making this new and complex mechanic, they could just be given a natural armor mechanic. I do agree with the broken duelist attacks though.

39 minutes ago, he. said:

should pull 2 nightmare fuel from your inventory per read and -15% max sanity for any puppet but it should have a limit to how many you can have and -5 hp upon read or none at all

So exactly like the classic Maxwell mechanic? The reason for the health drain is because they were able to use any tool that Maxwell used instead of one specific tool. If these blank puppets are indeed useless, then the health cost would be redundent as it would punish you for no gain.

41 minutes ago, he. said:

upon killing a shadow minion it should drop whatever you put on it or gave it while returning the 1 fuel

Like how it does already? The fact that it gives you fuel for ending the shadows before hand, it shows preemptive planning by the player while them dying by accident shows you messing up and thus shouldn't reward you it. 

46 minutes ago, he. said:

and maybe give maxwell that +20/min sanity regen back or summin (

He doesn't really need that. Maxwell's main point in Single Player is that they are able to fully use end game equipment to compenstate for his low health. As he is now, he really doesn't need it as his power is shifting away from his own potential and more to his puppets.

52 minutes ago, he. said:

lso make it so he can make first level magic crafts or his own magic crafts because we need a magic character and he does say the shadow manipulator is his preferred work station)

I really hate this idea because of how people lack what this actually means. With the prestihatitatpr off the bat you get panflute, ice staff, meat effigy, and life giving amulet. These, game changing items, available without working for the privillage to craft them. Tier one magic items makes the games balence out of wack. I assume the idea came around because Wickerbottoms science perk is a thing, which is stupid since one gives you game breaking items and one gives you the bare essentials. I just hate this idea with a burning passion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, he. said:

what are your guys' thoughts?

If you play on PC I suggest you give a try to recezib rebqlance mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741879530

And try Maxwell on that mod.

I believe it adresses many of the things you want, without bringing  Maxwell's DS's original mechanics which were a bit annoying. Recezib handled puppet repurposing, puppet's armor, puppet carrying objects, duelists AI, etc, in a very clever way, and yet keeping it simple and fairly balanced.

2 hours ago, he. said:

also make it so he can make first level magic crafts or his own magic crafts because we need a magic character and he does say the shadow manipulator is his preferred work station

I think thematically he needs an advantage with magic items, but not exactly this one which can be inbalanced. I've been thinking that maybe all magic items should have a slower/smaller sanity drain on him. They kind of gave him that by giving him a huge sanity regen at DS, which in dst has been nerfed pretty strongly, so giving him a smaller cost of sanity from using/holding magic items would synergize well with his current sanity regen, and further support his magic usage side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just want him to read the book like in DS cuz my friends like to swipe my codex a lot but that evolved into all this, thanks for the feedback :>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2020 at 1:27 AM, Frashaw27 said:

I really hate this idea because of how people lack what this actually means. With the prestihatitatpr off the bat you get panflute, ice staff, meat effigy, and life giving amulet. These, game changing items, available without working for the privillage to craft them. Tier one magic items makes the games balence out of wack. I assume the idea came around because Wickerbottoms science perk is a thing, which is stupid since one gives you game breaking items and one gives you the bare essentials. I just hate this idea with a burning passion.

You act like a couple rabbits, some logs and a few bits of silk are difficult things to acquire. The components to craft these items are rarer then the station itself. I really doubt it would make much of an impact if he had access to tier 1 magic from the start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

You act like a couple rabbits, some logs and a few bits of silk are difficult things to acquire. The components to craft these items are rarer then the station itself. I really doubt it would make much of an impact if he had access to tier 1 magic from the start.

Access to tier 1 magic would allow him to make a shadow manipulator right off the bat, which I actually support. He would still have to work for it in terms of gathering the resources but I typically find that SM materials are easier to get than the prestihatitator. In fact the shadow manipulator and sometimes the purple gem are really the only things I ever use the presti for.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:45 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

I think thematically he needs an advantage with magic items, but not exactly this one which can be inbalanced. I've been thinking that maybe all magic items should have a slower/smaller sanity drain on him. They kind of gave him that by giving him a huge sanity regen at DS, which in dst has been nerfed pretty strongly, so giving him a smaller cost of sanity from using/holding magic items would synergize well with his current sanity regen, and further support his magic usage side.

I definitely either want sanity drain reduction or increased passive sanity gain for him. I always saw sanity as a "mana pool" with characters when it comes to magic, since using most magic items cost sanity in one way or another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Access to tier 1 magic would allow him to make a shadow manipulator right off the bat, which I actually support. He would still have to work for it in terms of gathering the resources but I typically find that SM materials are easier to get than the prestihatitator. In fact the shadow manipulator and sometimes the purple gem are really the only things I ever use the presti for.

Yeah, I typically don't even bother with magic until I have the materials for a shadow manipulator and a dark sword. I always just saw it as a stepping stone that leaves me with a hat that I'll likely never use. It would be more of a convenience then gamebreaking. Tier 1 magic might have some powerful items in it, sure, but they require rarer materials and have more specific uses. I honestly consider tier 1 science to be more powerful due to it having a lot of items you'll need for your day to day activities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...