How exactly does Klei work on updates?

So as someone who often throws suggestions at Klei I was curious as to how Klei pumps out updates?

Do you already have all of RoT planned? Or is it more like: 'Alright guys <update name> is out! What do we do next?'

As I said, I like posting new ideas, concepts etc, But if Klei already has all of RoT planned ahead then I might as well not post them, right?

They do seem to read and apply the cool suggestion concepts, perhaps they have a main guiding idea of the route they are going to take, but the fine details seem to be open to change. 

This is how I think it goes at least, I can't confirm it nor deny, but its based on the forums activities and the things that appeared in the game over the years.

EG: After wurt was released it was suggested to have merm king give different rewards for different weight of fish. Merm king didnt get the feature, but pearl does value the fish weight differently. Also an item to change the skins of pre-existing items has been requested a million times, and now we got it.

These things keep happening all the time.

I think it generally is along the lines of they’re always thinking about the games future and how everything plays out with their envisioned End Game content, We as players can only suggest things based on how the game plays currently, or how we can imagine it playing in the future.

Meanwhile- Klei knows full well how everything will play out in the future because they’re probably already playing around with that in secret as we speak.. They’re realistically probably tinkering with things that’s at the very least 4 to 5 updates ahead of what we are currently playing now.

And When You Or I Suggest something, Klei Devs can consider that based on how they KNOW the games future will be, However overall they seem to take the majority of fan feedback seriously.. like for example- Glass Canon Wendy, That Idea was an EXCELLENT Idea.. but as almost all Wendy Mains pointed out- it wasn’t really an Idea that belonged on Wendy.

Klei will Repurpose that Glass Canon Mechanic on Someone more deserving of having it..  However they Re-evaluated Wendy’s Glass Canon Mechanic And the general concept they wanted it to provide (Working with your sister Abigail) And So NOW the Petals Bestowing buff (in my opinion at least..) accomplishes that concept a million times better than the Glass Canon Mechanic did.

I love to suggest stuff, it never hurts to suggest stuff to developers, as long as you keep in mind that they have the end game in mind and whatever you suggest is probably something they’ve already discussed within their own offices months, possibly even years ago!

JoeW explained it best in his own post  awhile back- Where he explained that when everyone was complaining that the game was too easy when it first came out, they didn’t address those people because they were already working on adding Winter to the game, and then people complained about how the game got too hard lol xD

I Do However admire their dedication and commit to timely patch updates that address all the bugs players find.

Klei as a Dev Team is a small company (even large Dev teams like Rockstar are a Small Company.. ) When you compare them to the ENTIRE WORLD that’s playing their content- So in THAT Regard, I think that the best way to find and squash bugs is by having people outside of your own Dev team helping find and report them to Klei for fixing.

Which explains why content goes through a Beta branch for 1-2 weeks on PC before releasing on Consoles, PC can get hot fixes to address issues that players discover, where as on console to address those issues requires Sony or Microsoft to approve their patch fixes through their annoying certification process.

Of course.. as Always even With that content releasing in Beta on PC first and a good majority of bugs being found and squashed Console will always have its own set of Problems.. that need reporting.

Disclaimer- I am NOT a game Developer, and I know very little about game design, But I know from experience with talking to Developers this information. 

(Also sorry for large wall of text post)

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

我认为通常是按照他们一直在思考游戏的未来以及他们所设想的最终游戏内容如何发挥作用的方式,我们作为玩家只能根据当前游戏的玩法或我们的想象力提出建议它在将来播放。

同时-克莱(Klei)非常了解未来的所有情况,因为正如我们所说的那样,他们可能已经在秘密进行处理了。.实际上,他们可能正在修补至少至少4到5个更新的内容。我们现在正在玩什么。

而当您提出建议时,Klei Devs可以根据他们对游戏未来的了解来考虑,但是总的来说,他们似乎非常重视大多数粉丝的反馈。例如,例如玻璃佳能Wendy,That Idea是一个很棒的主意..但是正如几乎所有温迪·梅因斯所指出的那样—温迪并不是一个真正的主意。

Klei将把玻璃佳能机械师的用途重新分配给更多的人。但是,他们重新评估了温迪的玻璃佳能机械师以及他们希望它提供的一般概念(与您的姐姐阿比盖尔一起工作),所以现在花瓣赋予了抛光效果(在我的观点至少..)实现这一概念的能力比玻璃佳能技工高一百万倍。

我喜欢向开发人员推荐东西,只要向开发人员推荐就可以了,只要您牢记他们已经考虑了最终游戏,并且您提出的建议可能是他们在自己办公室几个月内就已经讨论过的事情,甚至几年前!

JoeW曾在一段时间内在自己的帖子中对此做过最好的解释,他解释说,当每个人都抱怨这款游戏刚问世时太容易了时,他们没有与这些人打交道,因为他们已经在努力将Winter添加到游戏中,然后人们抱怨游戏如何变得太难了哈哈xD

我愿意然而,请钦佩他们的奉献精神,并承诺及时进行补丁更新,以解决玩家发现的所有错误。

作为开发团队的Klei是一家小公司(甚至像Rockstar这样的大型开发团队也是一家小公司。)当您将它们与正在播放其内容的整个世界进行比较时,那么在那方面,我认为这是找到并发现和发现问题的最佳方法壁球漏洞是由您自己的开发团队之外的人员帮助找到并报告给Klei进行修复。

这就解释了为什么内容要在PC上通过Beta分支进行1-2周的测试后才能在控制台上发布,PC可以获取热修复程序来解决玩家发现的问题,而在控制台上要解决这些问题,则需要Sony或Microsoft批准其补丁程序修复程序通过他们烦人的认证过程。

当然,始终如一。内容首先在PC上的Beta中发布,并且发现并压缩了很多错误,控制台将始终具有自己的一组问题。需要报告。

免责声明-我不是游戏开发者,我对游戏设计知之甚少,但是我从与开发者交谈的经验中知道。 

(也很抱歉发短信太长)

Great summary.

Archived