Possible Game Performance Improvement Suggestion

Now i'm not sure if this is already done within the game, but I want to suggest it just in case it isn't implemented.

My idea is for the map to be considered in chunks breaking up the map into smaller structures. What this would do is allow path finding to first determine if a path is allowed between chunks (some sort of opening between them) then it determines if there is a path that the dupes could take rather than looking through the entire map structure. What this can also improve is making it so dupes could look up if there is an item in a chunk (on ground or in storage) that is near a task they want to do and improve duplicant task completion. This may also help with any of the physics of the game. This also should allow the game to more quickly determine if an errand is reachable by a duplicant and not have to check through all duplicants to determine if they can reach the task.

Now again i'm not sure if something like this is implemented within the game engine, but I just wanted to put it out there.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:09 AM, SharraShimada said:

And by this, you would introduce the next big lag feature, because all the chunks have to be calculated in terms of gas/liquid movement and heat transfer. You dont solve the problem with this, you make it worse.

Actually this should not, as it would divide up the map into smaller sections. If the game works the way that I hope it doesn't, it has to check through every tile to find adjacency to other tiles. This would improve things by having smaller areas to check through, but it would at least have to have an extra step for cross chunk gas / liquid movement and heat transfer.

Archived