Steam Update Overwriting Essential Default Config Files

It's not consistent across every update, but I've noticed that on numerous game updates made via SteamCMD, Steam replaces a handful of essential server configuration files during the update. I currently have servers hosted on both Windows and Linux servers. In the most recent two game updates, the Windows server update did NOT restore these config files to default, but the Linux update DID.

Here are the config files that were restored according to my host's default settings:
mods/modsettings.lua
mods/dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua
.klei/donotstarvetogether/MyDediServer/cluster.ini
.klei/donotstarvetogether/MyDediServer/Caves/worldgenoverride.lua

I have spoken to both hosts and their response was identical: that they have zero control over the server files that Steam chooses to replace. Is there a way to prevent this from happening in future updates? I can always backup and restore these files, but that means that I can no longer update my server remotely when new updates roll out.

If you update your server using steamcmd with the -validate option, it does redownload all files that aren't in the original state.

On the other hand, if you do it without the -validate option, doesn't download the files that the devs didn't mark as changed, and therefore leaves the files that you modified. This has the potential risk that your server get's corrupted, if a file that was either modified at some point, or you deliberately edited yourself causes the newer version to crash.

I myself have been updating my server without the -validate option for a few years now, and never ran into issues.

26 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

I myself have been updating my server without the -validate option for a few years now, and never ran into issues.

Would be curious to know if you are running on Windows or Linux?

I can't think of any reason why these files would be marked as needing to be replaced in a game update - unless their formatting changed which hasn't happened in a while. Wouldn't it be easier for Klei to have Steam just leave those alone?

On 22.3.2020 at 6:52 PM, JazzyGames said:

Would be curious to know if you are running on Windows or Linux?

I'm running Linux, but imo it shouldn't matter, since steamcmd works the same on all Operating Systems.

On 22.3.2020 at 6:52 PM, JazzyGames said:

I can't think of any reason why these files would be marked as needing to be replaced in a game update - unless their formatting changed which hasn't happened in a while. Wouldn't it be easier for Klei to have Steam just leave those alone?

Well, normally (without the validate option) steamcmd doesn't touch those files for the reason you said.

The Validate option makes Steamcmd check the file checksums of all existing files, and redownloads the files that have a different checksum from the ones online. The latter is useful, if some files are broken, or if the server has any sort of issues. Otherwise you can leave the validate option out.

You are correct - on linux, it overwrites those files.  The scripts I wrote for myself make backups of all the config files for all the shards as well as the server mods before running an update, and then copy them back after the update.

I (used to) run that via cron each morning to keep my dedicated server up to date.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, UrmaneHendrake said:

You are correct - on linux, it overwrites those files.  The scripts I wrote for myself make backups of all the config files for all the shards as well as the server mods before running an update, and then copy them back after the update.

Great, glad to have that verified. I am asking my host if they can set up a script to do just that after an update. We'll see how that goes, but it would be wonderful if Klei could change it on their end.

The Validate option makes Steamcmd check the file checksums of all existing files, and redownloads the files that have a different checksum from the ones online. The latter is useful, if some files are broken, or if the server has any sort of issues. Otherwise you can leave the validate option out.

If I have the option to perform a clean installation then I don't have much need for -validate on my server. I'll ask my host if I can add a non-validate update option.

Archived