Brainstorming Boat content

I've been thinking about things to spice up boating. Most of it is only half thought out concepts, but I figured i'd throw it out there to see what the community thinks and get some ideas from everyone else.

I think the main concept that would benefit boating right now would be combat. Even if they added new islands/Lunar Isle content we would still need a good amount of water content to make the water a destination and not simply a travel route.

On the mob front, I think it would be cool to go beyond a "single mob" concept. I was envisioning something along the lines of Pig/Merm Pirates. A group of mobs, say 3, piloting a boat similar to what the player has. Maybe they are aggressive/neutral (depending on player character) and maybe they can fight amongst each other. Fighting them could go beyond simply straight DPS, and you could attempt to damage specific parts of their boat or specific members of their crew to allow for their destruction or simply to escape them. This would add a bit of variety to the fights.

On the item front, here is a bit of stuff that has crossed my mind-

Cannons- Cannons could be constructed on the boat, but they would be unable to be moved/turned. You would need to line up the boat itself to aim the cannon.

Mortars- Mortars could be aimed directly by the player.

Cannons could be a higher damage weapon, and highly accurate, while mortars could be lower damage, and a bit less accurate. They could be balanced around the possible introduction of Woodlegs, allowing him to have a viable exclusive craft (his cannon, which is kind of a little bit of both my cannon/mortar ideas).

Boarding Hook- These could be used to engage in Boarding/Melee combat against enemy boats, allowing you to fight hand to hand if you prefer, and keeping your boat from floating away while on the enemies boat. It could also possibly allow you to eliminate enemies without destroying their boat, allowing you to either take items or gain more salvage than you would by simply sinking their boat. Hooks could possibly be destroyed, redirecting your attention during a boarding raid and adding variety to the fight.

Crows Nest- This maybe isnt a good idea, especially if they introduce a Spyglass item, but the crows nest would obviously increase your sight radius.

New methods of propulsion- It would be nice to have a few more options when it comes to propulsion (my thoughts are obviously on the iron wind, or whatever it was called, from SW). I don't want to see the Malbatross Sail viability negated, so maybe introduce something with a top speed under the Malb sail, but with greater maneuverability. Could be preferred for boat to boat combat (depending on your chosen strategy).

Boat Light- I saw this on a mod (i think it was one of Beards vids), but I would love a boat light that was tied to the steering wheel. I've experimented with Mushlights on boats, and they work decently, but id like a little farther sight line, and having the light turn with the steering wheel looked pretty cool.

Enemy boats would also be randomized, allowing for different setups that would require different strategies, adding variety and a bit of a sense of unknown. Obviously there would need to be some loot to be had from these fights to really put their appeal over the top. There could possibly a Pirate Captain Boss/Mini Boss, and maybe even some sort of island base/floating dock base they could spawn from.

The crows nest is to put players in a bucket above the boat, so instead of having to make room for them down below.. you can place an additional structure or two on the boat itself.

It makes sense dude- Your just looking at it only as a Spyglass.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:27 PM, Mike23Ua said:

The crows nest is to put players in a bucket above the boat, so instead of having to make room for them down below.. you can place an additional structure or two on the boat itself.

It makes sense dude- Your just looking at it only as a Spyglass.

I like that idea!

Maybe also put a part below the ship to create more space? like ship hull? although I have no idea how an idea like that would look like in dst.

The crows nest sounds great though.

Archived