Seasonal biome

Recently i had an idea of a biome that has seasons. Not the rocks but the plants and critters in that biome would be change their behaviour based on an internal counter. Lets say every 30 cycles the plants start producing dangerous germs (zombie spore level of threat) for 10 cycles and the critters get agressive. After that the germs die off and the biome is safe to traverse. It would create an interesting dynamic where you need to limit the acces to a certain area for a limited time.

The plants and critters would still respect the season even if moved away from their biome. Later in the gmae you could farm the critters for something useful or just for food but have to care about the season. Similar the plants could produce something useful during the dangerous part of the season but getting that safely would require more advanced setups like atmo suits.

that could be interesting. would make timer sensors more useful as they could limit if dupes can enter the biome or not. I could see an interesting dynamic here.

What will limit the player from just digging the whole biome up?

17 hours ago, meepmoop said:

What will limit the player from just digging the whole biome up?

He can of course do it during the safe season. But the plants should produce something valuable so you don`t want to uproot them right away. I think it would be fun if it could be harvested twice during the dangerous season but if not harvested it would only drop stuff nly once. During safe season the plants would be dormant.

56 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

He can of course do it during the safe season. But the plants should produce something valuable so you don`t want to uproot them right away. I think it would be fun if it could be harvested twice during the dangerous season but if not harvested it would only drop stuff nly once. During safe season the plants would be dormant.

Oh I see. It would be like an infusion of sporechild and reeds - it produces something usful every 30 cycles (like reeds produce fiber) but at the same time is dangerous (like sporechild, but only when it blooms/harvestable).

Can it be minimized from 'seasonal biome' to 'seasonal plant' (which is native to a new/existing biome), which makes it simpler?

19 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Recently i had an idea of a biome that has seasons. Not the rocks but the plants and critters in that biome would be change their behaviour based on an internal counter. Lets say every 30 cycles the plants start producing dangerous germs (zombie spore level of threat) for 10 cycles and the critters get agressive. After that the germs die off and the biome is safe to traverse. It would create an interesting dynamic where you need to limit the acces to a certain area for a limited time.

The plants and critters would still respect the season even if moved away from their biome. Later in the gmae you could farm the critters for something useful or just for food but have to care about the season. Similar the plants could produce something useful during the dangerous part of the season but getting that safely would require more advanced setups like atmo suits.

Hunger games for dupes :D ?

6 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

Can it be minimized from 'seasonal biome' to 'seasonal plant' (which is native to a new/existing biome), which makes it simpler?

Could work too. Might also affect the biome`s critters increasing their reproduction drastically (they would not be sustainable without it) but making the agressive at the same time.

Archived