Help with keybinds

Apostolos

This has always been an issue for me.  There are two buttons for attack. "Do Attack" and "Force Attack"

The do attack works for hostile mobs just fine.  However, the Force attack only changes what it says above a non hostile mobs head if the mouse is hovered over it.  For example a butterfly. If I chase one around hitting Do Attack, nothing happens because it is not hostile.  However, if I hover the mouse over it and hit my Force Attack, my character just stands there while the mouse cursor above the butterfly changes from 'Inspect" to "Attack" option and I still have to left click on the mouse to make my character move.

Obviously this makes it impossible to attack a butterfly that is moving around (like playing whack a mole with your eyes closed)

One option is to make Do Attack and Force attack the same key bind.  This makes your character move toward and attack anything close.  This is rather dangerous though as it may make you accidentally attack a guard standing beside you when you were trying to attack a bat chasing you through town.

How in the bloody hell can I make a keybind that forces an attack against all agro mobs and include butterflies in that list?

11 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

"Force Attack" is a modifier for the regular attack command. Assuming you've got default keybinds, holding ctrl and then pressing F will force attack the nearest mob.

in my case I literally use a combined key bind instead of pressing two keys at once to force attack the closest thing.

playing with Wigfrid all the time kinda makes you want to hit everything that's near you

No, my attack key is G. I need my thumb button bound to force attack anything close but you cannot bind thumb keys for some reason (aka I need a single button press to force attack nearest mob bindable to my thumb button and it just drives me bat poop insane that I cant).  There is no way in hell I can hit two buttons to force attack while having one on the mouse.

11 minutes ago, Apostolos said:

No, my attack key is G. I need my thumb button bound to force attack anything close but you cannot bind thumb keys for some reason (aka I need a single button press to force attack nearest mob bindable to my thumb button and it just drives me bat poop insane that I cant).  There is no way in hell I can hit two buttons to force attack while having one on the mouse.

thumb key? thumb button? what sort of key/button is that?

just bind the attack key and force attack key to two nearby buttons on your keyboard that you can press together with one hand easily.
just like using Crtl+X or Crtl+Y etc, everyone plays the game like this.

Buttons on the side of the mouse. I seriously do not know anyone can press two buttons with one hand in the time it takes one of those butterflies to move out of range of attack while it is flying around. Regardless.. my solution below.

OK this has taken me hours to figure out. I ended up having to use AutoHotKey with the following (only issue is you cannot attack and be pressing a movement key at the same time which is slightly annoying as those butterflies got mad jukes at times. At least I can finally use normal attack without accidentally attacking Robin or a guard instead of the mob I am trying to fight):

SendMode Input
SetTitleMatchMode, 3

#IfWinActive, Don't Starve
XButton1::
{
Send, {Ctrl down}
Send, {g}
Send, {Ctrl up}
}

1 minute ago, Apostolos said:

Buttons on the side of the mouse.

why did you not tell from the start that the mouse your using has more then 3 buttons?

Most games don't have support for more then 3 mouse buttons, bind your extra Mouse Thumb Button with a keyboard key from your windows or any app you may have that will allow you to bind your extra mouse buttons, then bind that keyboard key in the game which will get automatically binded to your mouse.

I hope your able to understand this if you use gaming mice or something.

As I said before, that still requires you to push two buttons for one action. Most games (as you said, and I will disagree with you here) do allow you to map extra mouse buttons to anything that can be bound to a keystroke. Your suggestion is valid on just changing one button push.  However, I wanted to do a force attack nearest mob with just one button push. Mapping both buttons in game to the same key works great with the exception that it will attack any mob at any time regardless of what you want.  The only way to selectively choose when to make that happen apparently is something like autohotkey.

I'm wicked hesitant to post on this thread because my knowledge of technology and game mechanics pales in comparison to everyone else's, but here goes.  Please feel free to smile and nod.  

My attack key is P.  If I want to attack something that is not overtly hostile, I do have to click on the thing once to attack, but then I just hold down the P button and my character keeps going.  I don't hold down an additional key while I'm at it.  

2 hours ago, ucw said:

I'm wicked hesitant to post on this thread because my knowledge of technology and game mechanics pales in comparison to everyone else's, but here goes.  Please feel free to smile and nod.  

My attack key is P.  If I want to attack something that is not overtly hostile, I do have to click on the thing once to attack, but then I just hold down the P button and my character keeps going.  I don't hold down an additional key while I'm at it.  

that is what he wants but he also wants to map a key to both actions (the clicking on the mob first time you attack and then continue attacking only that mob)

the current force attack+attack command makes our character attack anything that is near instead of what exactly we want to attack like that nearby butterfly but for that we have to click on the butterfly once in order focus the character on that specific target.

he wants the focused attack on one key.

Archived