Suggestions about rocket

Currently there is no way to fully protect gantries.

Even though players seal the silo with bunker gates,he has to open the gate when the rocket returns,even it is during comet rain.Or the rocket would crush the gate.

In such case,comets following the rocket may have a chance to deal demage to gantries as well.Sooner or later the gantries will be destroyed and need to be repaired.

Actually all my ONI friends has got used to it.When somebody asks about silo protection,they just laugh and answer:"What's the point?You can never give gantries a perfect protection.Besides,a destroyed gantry functions as well as good one does.So just toggle AUTO REPAIR off for gantries and forget it."

Personally I don't think the developers would like players to do this:keep an eye on a building that fated to be demaged one day,or giving up all attemption and leaving the structures demaged,pretending everything is fine.

So may I crave for an official solution for it.For example,let the rocket refuse to land when the bunker doors are closed(at least for a while),just like how it refuse to take off in same case.Thus give rocket the ability to "wait out" the comet rain if it comes during the landing phase.

I'm happy to know that there are many fellow printing pods in the forum shares my concern about gantry protection.That's quite different from my friends "Leave It Demaged" attitude.:)

One of my friends gave another solution:Simply make the "basic" or "stable" part of gantry 1*2 or 1*1 rather than 2*2,while extend the length of gantry for 1 tile.With this size a closed gantry could be fully protected by a bunker door above it.

I usually put  a couple bunker tiles right above the gantry. It protects it from most of the meteors.

At least the patched pipes and wires to not take damage from meteors. I`d like to see a system that lets you properly protect those so they could take damage again.

Good, simple, logical point. I couldn't think myself of a solution but it does sound like something that could be improved (tbf, most of the rocket-related stuff could... this part of the game still seems to be poorly implemented).

I like this (your) suggestion that also doesn't sound to hard to code into the game.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:26 PM, _Forgive_ said:

...let the rocket refuse to land when the bunker doors are closed(at least for a while),just like how it refuse to take off in same case.Thus give rocket the ability to "wait out" the comet rain if it comes during the landing phase.

Either add this option by the star-map screen, or through a building (telescope, scanner, maybe something new like "space traffic control" room idk).

On 2/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, _Forgive_ said:

give rocket the ability to "wait out" the comet rain if it comes during the landing phase.

I think this a good solution. A variant on this would be to repurpose the space scanner instead of indicating that a rocket is on approach, to permit the rocket to land. In other words, add an input to the space scanner. A rocket may land if a green signal is sent, but will “stay in orbit” if a red signal is sent.

Related to this, I am not a fan of the duplicants perpetually staying in the rockets and it being a personal priority (it is higher than anything on their To-Do List).  I would like to see this interaction behave more like a regular building: the duplicant goes to the rocket but will stop interacting with the building if they get hungry or need to sleep. Maybe even add animation to the command capsule, where the duplicant is going through preflight checklists, but can take off when receiving a green signal or told to launch. In other words, I dislike the “duplicant goes into stasis” effect the rockets have.

23 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

the duplicant goes to the rocket but will stop interacting with the building if they get hungry or need to sleep. Maybe even add animation to the command capsule, where the duplicant is going through preflight checklists, but can take off when receiving a green signal or told to launch.

I`d love if that was the case. Would make interacting with rockets more interesting. Now it`s pretty boring.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I`d love if that was the case. Would make interacting with rockets more interesting. Now it`s pretty boring.

New idea!:

While the duplicant is doing his preflight checklist, the duplicant gains 0.25% Rocket Navigation Efficiency per hour towards their next flight. This translates to approximately 10% rocket efficiency (equivalent to Rocket Navigation bonus) after two full days (40hrs) of preflight checks. With this rate, preflight checks would not be worthwhile (ie, there would be diminishing returns) after about 6 days, but a duplicant could still accumulate efficiency for their next flight in case they had nothing better to do.

16 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

New idea!:

While the duplicant is doing his preflight checklist, the duplicant gains 0.25% Rocket Navigation Efficiency per hour towards their next flight. This translates to approximately 10% rocket efficiency (equivalent to Rocket Navigation bonus) after two full days (40hrs) of preflight checks. With this rate, preflight checks would not be worthwhile (ie, there would be diminishing returns) after about 6 days, but a duplicant could still accumulate efficiency for their next flight in case they had nothing better to do.

I suggested before that they bring back the centrifuge and it would work like that. But makes more sense for it t work this way. Maybe we could have both, so if you plan missions back to back you can laways have a dupe with the full bonus without having to build a dummy rocket for the other pilot to train in.

Archived