19 hour’s I’m trying to find malbatros

Im playing on Ps4.. it’s already 19 real hours I’m trying to find Malbatros !!! 19 hours !!!!!! I’m living in the sea !! I have tried everything ..hooks a deep bass, played as Weregoose.. what else I can do ? I gonna spend 2 more hrs on this and if I won’t find him in this 2 hrs that’s it , I will be very very mad and disappointed ... please give a good advice how I can find him ..

CA03F267-F79A-4480-B1F3-2B4376E5622C.jpeg

Each Deep Bass shoal with a fixed location has a 25% chance to spawn the Malbatross when visited for the first time. After 3 days, the Malbatross despawns and the chances for all shoals are reset. The Malbatross also has a 10% to spawn when a player hooks a Deep Bass. Chances to spawn the Malbatross on each shoal are reset 5 to 15 days after the Malbatross dies.

Informations from DS wiki - Malbatross

After trying to set up a Sea Base at 2 of the maybe 4 Shoals we have uncovered on our map, it seems to me that if you fish a Shoal long enough Malb will appear. And we had the same issue on our other map. Every time we would fish a Shoal Malb would appear.

We can't seem to get rid of the ******

7 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

After trying to set up a Sea Base at 2 of the maybe 4 Shoals we have uncovered on our map, it seems to me that if you fish a Shoal long enough Malb will appear. And we had the same issue on our other map. Every time we would fish a Shoal Malb would appear.

We can't seem to get rid of the ******

It'll keep following you for as long as you try to fish in its shoals. You can kill it (it's not too hard to do alone, it's arguably easier than Deerclops) but it'll be ready to come back in 5-15 days.

I personally enjoy fishing and killing the Malbatross. 2 Fish meat and 2 monster/regular meat (or just 4 fish meat) makes surf n turf which heals off battle wounds pretty easily, and the blue gems, feathers and bill feel like a good enough reward for the difficulty of the fight. If there's one thing I dislike about the Malbatross, is that it can break my masts even if unprovoked. Though, to avoid that, I always fish with my boat anchored away from the center of the shoal, and I leave my boat ready to escape whenever I fish.

What I like to do is sail from shoal to shoal, usually going to 3 of them in one trip and fishing out all the deep bass they have. I get tons of fish to store in Tin Fishin' Bins and the time away from hound attacks (and Antlion attacks in the summer) is something I appreciate.

33 minutes ago, Electroely said:

It'll keep following you for as long as you try to fish in its shoals.

We rolled back after it spawned on us on the first Shoal as I was experimenting with the viability of a boat base right on a Shoal. An in game year or so later I tested a second boat base at a different Shoal and Malb spawned on us there as well.

I think at some point I read that Malb would only spawn at some of the Shoals on a map. I don't know if it was a hard number or a percentage. While our current map is one of the biggest maps we have generated (we are on PS4), it is nowhere near the size of some of the PC maps i've seen on YouTube. 

We currently have maybe 45% of the ocean uncovered, and i've found only 4 Shoals. Combine that with our other map where literally the first Shoal we fished spawned Malb after a couple minutes and i'm lead to believe that either i'm the Malbatross whisperer and have amazing luck finding Malb, or (at least on PS4) any Shoal can spawn Malb with enough fishing.

1 hour ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I think at some point I read that Malb would only spawn at some of the Shoals on a map. I don't know if it was a hard number or a percentage. While our current map is one of the biggest maps we have generated (we are on PS4), it is nowhere near the size of some of the PC maps i've seen on YouTube. 

I think that's outdated information, if not a misinterpretation. From what I know, you can spawn the Malbatross at any shoal by fishing in it.

But, there is another mechanic. You can spawn the Malbatross if you just get near some specific shoals in the world. That might be what you're talking about. It's a mechanic from before the Hook, Line & Inker update and used to be the only way you'd ever be able to see the Malbatross.
It made it quite rare, actually. You basically only had a 25% chance of finding the Malbatross every time you visit a shoal. Hardly anyone I know had ever seen it, let alone kill it.

Archived