Slickster resource chain cheatsheet

I have to apologize to them, "I looked down you"

Slickster_resource_chart.thumb.png.2118485704eb04c7f8e28c8d1550aa5c.png

Interesting point

• A slickster can convert 33% CO2 to natural gas through sour gas boiler.
    • 33.33g/s CO2 -> 11.11g/s Natural Gas
  • If I want to use a petroleum generator by petroleum from only slicksters, I must do ranching at least 240 slicksters, or 120 molten-slicksters.
    • I never want to do such a thing.
  • But if I want to use a natural gas generator with sour gas boiler, I have to ranching only 8 slicksters.

Sour Gas Boiler chart

SourGasBoiler_chart.thumb.png.6b1c332fa436a2ecf196f1a9ab331bf6.png

Appendix: RanchBox

not lunchbox, "Ranch" box.

Slickster_stables.thumb.png.02d6f1283cea61aa7bebdb9f1cedfdce.png

• It doesn't need High Pressure Gas Vent.
    • Gas Vent can vent gas unlimited while it is sank into liquid which is below 1.8kg/tile
  • For temperature control, using brute force activates Liquid Tepidizer.

Slickster_stables_thermograph.thumb.png.d9a848def1bcae4b0f1d2262e535a744.png

Slickster_stables_automation.thumb.png.b4c05b12648492caa0c9914dd81f510b.png

2 hours ago, voqn said:

But if I want to use a natural gas generator with sour gas boiler, I have to ranching only 8 slicksters.

On the other hand those 8 slicksters are only saving you ~24 kg of water per cycle ( or about 40% of a dupe's budget ) that you would be pumping into an oil well to get that oil.  Or 4% of the output of an oil well.  It's just kind of peanuts in comparison.  But it is something to do with CO2 and I do like their purring.

Also if you aren't using a high pressure vent, then that means the pump is going to only be able to suck up ~1.5kg instead of a full 10kg packet and thus, wasting power.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

That's why I build a one tile slickster pen!  All the benefits of slicksters without the dupe or framerate costs!

I'm still not convinced that pathing is the cause of lag and that it's worth it to have 5x as many ungroomed slicksters stuck in a single tile.  I've got about 10 slicksters groomed.  If they weren't groomed I'd need 50.  Having 50 different critters deciding when to eat and poop has got to be hard on the CPU.

19 minutes ago, psusi said:

I'm still not convinced that pathing is the cause of lag and that it's worth it to have 5x as many ungroomed slicksters stuck in a single tile.  I've got about 10 slicksters groomed.  If they weren't groomed I'd need 50.  Having 50 different critters deciding when to eat and poop has got to be hard on the CPU.

All I know is that I had hundreds of slicksters and was at around 45 fps on my laptop (i7-9750H and GTX 1660ti).  The critters think slower, but I am not laggy. 

I am hoping that eventually the critters will be consolidated, so if you have a ton of animals in a room, they have reduced AI costs.

5 hours ago, Zarquan said:

All I know is that I had hundreds of slicksters and was at around 45 fps on my laptop (i7-9750H and GTX 1660ti).  The critters think slower, but I am not laggy. 

I'm not even sure how to measure fps.  Last year when I played I started getting lag where pufts would "stick" like they couldn't decide where to move or whether they should inhale and morbs would stop for a second deciding whether to fart, and blobs of liquid in pipes would move one tile, stop and think for a second or two, then move again.  This time around I have yet to hit that kind of lag except sometimes I notice that when a dupe constructs a new segment of pipe, the liquids in other pipes on the screen freeze for a second.  This seems part of the simulation rather than having to do with the rendering that fps is looking at.  Rendering is still smooth while the simulation is trying to figure out what to do.  At least that is how I thought about it then.  This time I don't have any morbs ( have two pO2 vents to feed the pufts ) but instead I have a ranch with 20 or so shove voles in it.

19 hours ago, psusi said:

I'm not even sure how to measure fps.  Last year when I played I started getting lag where pufts would "stick" like they couldn't decide where to move or whether they should inhale and morbs would stop for a second deciding whether to fart, and blobs of liquid in pipes would move one tile, stop and think for a second or two, then move again.  This time around I have yet to hit that kind of lag except sometimes I notice that when a dupe constructs a new segment of pipe, the liquids in other pipes on the screen freeze for a second.  This seems part of the simulation rather than having to do with the rendering that fps is looking at.  Rendering is still smooth while the simulation is trying to figure out what to do.  At least that is how I thought about it then.  This time I don't have any morbs ( have two pO2 vents to feed the pufts ) but instead I have a ranch with 20 or so shove voles in it.

The critters do think slower when time goes on, but this shouldn't really be a problem as long as they aren't drowning or starving or failing to lay eggs.

I don't think the pipe laying weirdness is "lag" in the simulation.  The graphic of the liquid moving through the pipe is purely graphical.  The liquid actually teleports from segment to segment, and when a pipe is built, this graphic is overridden and the visual representation of the liquid teleports and waits for the next second to begin to start the graphic up again.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I don't think the pipe laying weirdness is "lag" in the simulation.  The graphic of the liquid moving through the pipe is purely graphical.  The liquid actually teleports from segment to segment, and when a pipe is built, this graphic is overridden and the visual representation of the liquid teleports and waits for the next second to begin to start the graphic up again.

It doesn't look to me like it just doesn't animate smoothly and then teleports, it looks like it is animating smoothly, reaches the next tile, then stops for one second, and then goes back to animating smoothly to the next tile.

56 minutes ago, psusi said:

It doesn't look to me like it just doesn't animate smoothly and then teleports, it looks like it is animating smoothly, reaches the next tile, then stops for one second, and then goes back to animating smoothly to the next tile.

We can test this.  Build an oil refinery and build a lot of pipes.  If the oil refinery turns off, then building pipes is disrupting the flow, as it uses the full 10 kg/s. 

Alternatively, we could create a pipe of alternating liquids see what happens when you build a lot of pipes.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

We can test this.  Build an oil refinery and build a lot of pipes.  If the oil refinery turns off, then building pipes is disrupting the flow, as it uses the full 10 kg/s. 

Alternatively, we could create a pipe of alternating liquids see what happens when you build a lot of pipes.

I was thinking of piping full liquid flow into a reservoir with a bunch of pipe construction queued and pause the game and see how much is in the reservoir, then unpause and use a stopwatch to measure 60 seconds, then pause again and see how much is in the reservoir.

Archived