Which ever ideas being added, can we make them more then just 'put a building and thats it''

A lot of systems in ONI require desging and "doing some work yourself".

• SPOM requires a combination of electrolyzers, gas pumps, pipes, vents and electricity.
  • cooling systems require aquatuners/regulators/AETN/wheezworts with cleaver use of automation and pipes.
  • Rockets might not be the best example... but you do need to do a bit of piping for how the fuel gets into the rockets and how to place convenor belts for cargo.

On the other hand, there are some things that you just put and thats it. there is no thought and no place for creativity, like oxygen defusers (which is fine because you only use them early on) and tuning stations.

Until now, Klei did a great job with most late game systems working in a more thought provoking way. I just hope they keep doing that with any other systems/buildings they add.

-

What fueled me to say that was a discussion made about nuclear power generation in future dlcs/updates/fixes.

However Klei going to implement this, I just hope that it will be more then a simple input-output machine.

4 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Ethanol pipeline is an example of a Job Well Done. Byproducts are the key to making things interesting.

Pity that current plant farming system is all input->output. It has plenty of potential.

exactly cathulhu! I agree with you fully.

Like, its understandable that early game systems would be more simple, but as we progress we want to be required to make more deep systems.

Another example is the oil refinery - by its own, its not interesting (inputting crude, outputting gas/petro) *however* it was designed to be non-efficient so you would be driven to create a more complex and interesting system - the oil boiler.

imo this is a good design, and I hope Klei will keep doing stuff of this sort as they add stuff.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:59 AM, Coolthulhu said:

Ethanol pipeline is an example of a Job Well Done.

Sorry, I don't follow. Ethanol is simply created from lumber using the ethanol distiller. I would consider this a one-stop-shop building (ie, put in lumber and get out ethanol).

One idea for an alternate method of creating ethanol could have been to surround a small amount of hot lumber with infected water (ie, water with a food poisoning germs) of a specific temperature. This would delete the wood and water and create liquid ethanol (masses, temperatures, and SHCs would have to be examined in detail).

1. Separating the lumber into small amounts is reflective of milling / size-reduction / pre-processing of the biomass. Could be 20kg to coincide with conveyor rails, or smaller which would require additional automation.
  2. Heating the lumber is reflective of additional pre-processing the biomass.
  3. Infected water is reflective of the enzymes that breakdown the biomass, more specifically the cellulose and pentose.
  4. The infected water would need to be a specific temperature to reflect the fact fermentation best occurs at specific temperatures. This could be the temperature range of food poisoning or narrower for added difficulty.
  5. Liquid density in ONI reflects the actual distiller; the heavier/denser ethanol sinks to the bottom of the tank while water floats to the top.

In general, I agree with @meepmoop, I think there is a lot they can do with having solids interact with liquids and/or gasses, liquids with gasses. As in the above example, masses/pressures, temperatures, and even germ count could affect these interactions.

========================

One item that I would like to suggest a process for is Sulfur. Currently there is no use for sulfur and it frustrates me. Let's look at one possibility.

Sulfur is increasingly used as a component of fertilizers. The most important form of sulfur for fertilizer is the mineral calcium sulfate. ...

The botanical requirement for sulfur equals or exceeds the requirement for phosphorus. It is an essential nutrient for plant growth, root nodule formation of legumes, and immunity and defense systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur#Fertilizer

With this information, we could simply add sulfur as an alternate input to phosphorite in the Fertilizer Synthesizer to make fertilizer, but I would like to skip this idea and move to something more involved. One way to produce calcium sulfate is via flue-gas desulfurization.

The reaction taking place in wet scrubbing using a CaCO3 (limestone) slurry produces calcium sulfite (CaSO3) and may be expressed in the simplified dry form as:

CaCO3(s) + SO2(g)CaSO3(s) + CO2(g)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flue-gas_desulfurization#Scrubbing_with_an_alkali_solid_or_solution

I apply some simplification and replace the molecular equations with existing game elements; note the sulfur is actually sulfur gas (>337°C). The numbers below are suggested masses based on real life molar masses and can be rebalanced.

100 Lime(s) + 65 Sulfur(g) → 121 Fertilizer(s) + 44 CO2(g)

The rate at which this happens is up for debate, as well as how the products' temperatures are calculated. The biggest issue that would involve a complex design, would be how to keep the sulfur gas hot enough so it doesn't condense, but keeping the lime/fertilizer cold enough that it doesn't turn into dirt (<125°C).

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Sorry, I don't follow. Ethanol is simply created from lumber using the ethanol distiller. I would consider this a one-stop-shop building (ie, put in lumber and get out ethanol).

One idea for an alternate method of creating ethanol could have been to surround a small amount of hot lumber with infected water (ie, water with a food poisoning germs) of a specific temperature. This would delete the wood and water and create liquid ethanol (masses, temperatures, and SHCs would have to be examined in detail).

That would be a regression: you'd have only one output, as opposed to current 3: ethanol, pdirt, CO2.

That pdirt can be just as valuable as ethanol itself since it greatly speeds up farming for lime, which is the limiting factor in space colonization.

Requiring an arcane, late game (conveyors) build, just to produce some energy, which is easy to produce in excess already AND has better gimmicky builds (oil->natgas), would not help.

Archived