Need help managing puft population

So I decided to farm squeaky pufts for bleach stone to sustain my hot tub and farm waterweeds later. I found a chlorine geyser near my base which can only feed 2 pufts max. I tried to automatically manage the population using door to block sweeper but somehow it delivered eggs to the incubator anyway. 

Critter sensor: <2

Buffer gate: 5

20200101223357_1.jpg

20200101223420_1-1.jpg

Few things you need to know :

- Ranch Puft directly in the chlorine geyser room is a bad idea because you will don't have gas during the dormant period. As any geyser, you need to store the half of it production during the active period to have ressource during the dormand period.

- You need a Puft Prince in the room if not your pufts will drop Puft Prince eggs.

About automation, the best is the have 2 virtuals rooms in your room : 1 for the Prince, 1 for the others. As well, you can detect the presence of the Prince. You have an example here :

13 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Few things you need to know :

- Ranch Puft directly in the chlorine geyser room is a bad idea because you will don't have gas during the dormant period. As any geyser, you need to store the half of it production during the active period to have ressource during the dormand period.

- You need a Puft Prince in the room if not your pufts will drop Puft Prince eggs.

About automation, the best is the have 2 virtuals rooms in your room : 1 for the Prince, 1 for the others. As well, you can detect the presence of the Prince. You have an example here :

Why bother?  Just let them die when it goes dormant, and breed one or two more when it goes active again.  Likewise, you don't care if they start laying prince eggs because you will just breed a few more from the the main puft ranch when needed.

Also don't worry about limiting the population unless they get overcroweded ( then kill one or two ).  Just disable the grooming station and they will eat less chlorine.

10 minutes ago, psusi said:

Why bother?  Just let them die when it goes dormant, and breed one or two more when it goes active again. 

Why? To have to constant production of bleach stone. With your "strategie" you will have to wait 40-50 cycles to have some again.

And more globaly, the goal is to have an automatic ranching which don't ask to do things every cycle like unactivate the station or kill manually some Pufts...

13 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Why? To have to constant production of bleach stone. With your "strategie" you will have to wait 40-50 cycles to have some again.

So?  It's not like you can't store the stone, and it's easier than storing the chlorine.

14 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

And more globaly, the goal is to have an automatic ranching which don't ask to do things every cycle like unactivate the station or kill manually some Pufts...

You don't have to do it every cycle.  Just when you get the notice that they are starving, disable the station.  Check back in a few cycles and maybe turn it on again.

Archived