Ping shows as question makrs "???"

Good day, gents

Nobody can see my server's true ping, instead it's always shown as mysterious "???", wich is pretty much makes very unlikely for random fellows to join in.

I'm creating servers through casual means the game provides, and it suits my needs. I also tried to set up dedicated servers - aaand everything works but ping stays stubbornly unknown.

Also I've done my homework and forwarded some naughty ports (10999, 10888) in my tp-link router, wich *of course* didn't help at all. UPnP on. Even set up triggers in the same fasion. Made exceptions in Windows Defender, didn't help, then for good measure turned the whole local firewall off, nothing.

As I understand this problem is as old as wilson's beard, judging by other posts. First time I've noticed it in Gorge, but then I haven't play on my own servers for a while.

Any suggestions? What else can I try? Is there even hope? Really would appreciate some help. Thanks.

dst_ping.png

tp-link_forwarding.png

Often asked, just as many times answered: It's a general bug that sometimes happens.

For some people port forwarding fixes it, for others it doesn't. Even Klei's servers have that sometimes. (Most noticeably during an event such as Forge or Gorge as you've encountered yourself.)

I had the issue myself for a while, but never really bothered trying to fix it, and at some point it suddenly fixed itself for no apparent reason.

I guess your best hope would be to advertise your server a little bit, or look if you can assemble a nice group of players to play with you regularly.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:07 AM, Daniel86268 said:

...and at some point it suddenly fixed itself for no apparent reason...

Yup, it took my servers ~2 months but they suddenly started showing the real ping. Tbh, I would ask what other people are seeing as the ping. On my servers it was showing me ??? but for everyone else it showed the ping.

I'd also suggest associating your server with a steam group if you can. That always helps to get it up in the recommendation rankings.

Also, side question @Daniel86268, are opening those two ports sufficient? That's what I do, but someone else was telling my I should open up all seven ports (master_port, server_port x2, master_server_port x2, authentication_port x2).

On 11.1.2020 at 2:06 AM, X-lem said:

are opening those two ports sufficient? That's what I do, but someone else was telling my I should open up all seven ports (master_port, server_port x2, master_server_port x2, authentication_port x2).

From my understanding the two server_port should be enough. The Master_Port and master_server_port are only used for the communication between the shards (master shard and slave shards) and the authentication_port is only used outbound for the authentication with the Klei servers.

So the actual communication with the clients runs completely over the server_port. (The main/initial connection actually only over the server_port of the master shard.)

Archived