Hello everybody. 

I am attempting to make a character of my own that can make potions to help other players and potentially an equippable item. I have attempted to look at other mods to see in their prefabs or scripts to figure out this but I have no clue what Im looking at. Can somebody tell me the basics on how to make a crafting tab only my character can use, and how to set potions that will separately heal up hunger, health, sanity, remove sanity, and give the effect that chili flakes and garlic powder would give, as well as spicy chili and ice cream would, as well as an equippable that will be used for crafting and gives minor sanity? Do note that none of the potions will have multiple effects.

go basic don't try to create a whole new character if your new to coding/modding, you'll either get too much help from ultroman (ultroman you need to stop being so helpful) or you'll get frustrated and give up: in my opinion both are bad.

try to get use to basic coding by either making a single new craftable item of by making adjustments to existing objects to get a jist of how to mod because from what i can see you are fresh off the boat and can't see the journey before the end

So, whilst everythign else you'd like can be done the time.. and knowledge isn't from me, sorry for that but here is how I make my own crafting tab.

This all goes into the modmain.

local craftab = AddRecipeTab( "Ghosth's Tab", 996, "images/hud/pokemantab.xml", "poketab.tex", "S_B")

AddRecipe("pokeball", 
{GLOBAL.Ingredient("steelwool", 2), GLOBAL.Ingredient("moonrocknugget", 18), GLOBAL.Ingredient("nightmarefuel", 6), GLOBAL.Ingredient("cutstone", 5)}, 
crafttab, TECH.NONE, nil, nil, nil, nil, "S_B",
"images/inventoryimages/pokeball.xml", "pokeball.tex" )

Then you just add the "S_B" as a tag, in your.. common postinit, You need to make sure all the assets are called on, and that you have files in the locations, The 996 is the tab slot space, I believe? I've never really.. messed around with it. (PS Ultroman taco.. please help me with ocean fishing!)

Edited by Lokoluna

2 hours ago, thomas4846 said:

try to get use to basic coding by either making a single new craftable item of by making adjustments to existing objects to get a jist of how to mod because from what i can see you are fresh off the boat and can't see the journey before the end

Well two parts I want to note.
1. I've done this before with a character that's script for examining messed up a little bit, but he did have higher damage and higher sanity max as well as a high sanity drain, and this new version of said character so far has slower attack speed, will have less attack as well and has low hp. So I think I at least know the basics and kinda want to actually go up a step.
2. This is meant for me and my friends as we all are making characters and I wanted to make a character that was support, which I dont see a better method of attempting to do this from If I do it any other way.

21 hours ago, Boukeyt said:

attempted to look at other mods to see in their prefabs or scripts to figure out this but I have no clue what Im looking at

This by itself is why i say build up

but i ain't here to say don't code i'm here to help so give me a sec or hour

equippable that will be used for crafting

remove sanity

you have to specify what you mean because for me some of these are vague

local function oneaten_garlic(inst, eater)
    if eater.components.debuffable ~= nil and eater.components.debuffable:IsEnabled() and
        not (eater.components.health ~= nil and eater.components.health:IsDead()) and
        not eater:HasTag("playerghost") then
        eater.components.debuffable:AddDebuff("buff_playerabsorption", "buff_playerabsorption")
    end
end

local function oneaten_sugar(inst, eater)
    if eater.components.debuffable ~= nil and eater.components.debuffable:IsEnabled() and
        eater.components.debuffable:AddDebuff("buff_workeffectiveness", "buff_workeffectiveness")
    end
end

local function oneaten_chili(inst, eater)
        eater.components.debuffable:AddDebuff("buff_attack", "buff_attack") 
    end
end

--i believe this code includes the buff enabler

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/46849-tutorial-using-extended-sample-character-template/?do=findComment&comment=588910

What I meant by that was that there was a lot of stuff to the point of that the actual recipie I could find was just a config.

Anyways, basically my plan was to have some potions, some basic like just heal a specific ammount of health hunger and sanity each, like a hunger potion, health potion, and sanity potion. And a plan to have a warm and cold potion that has similar functions to spicy chili and ice cream. As well as two potions , attack and defense, giving similar effects to Chili flakes and garlic powder. And also not to forget an insanity type of potion. I also wanted to have those and as many of the potions above to have better versions of them like an upgrade that can only be unlocked w/ a science machine or alchemy engine or a prestihatitator or a Shadow Manipulator. Some potions locked behind them to start so that I cant have at least one version of all those potions above to craft. And also there was an idea to have a jacket that's pretty useless to start with but two other versions, a Vest for winter that's easier to craft than a puffy vest and around the same type of insulation and a coat that's pretty much useful for spring that requires less than a rain coat as well as a little less waterproof than a rain coat. That Idea may be scrapped though. And there's a plan to have a revive item that can heal more than a telltale heart and gives no penalty. Planned that to be a little harder to craft than a telltale heart. Though there's one last part to note. This character has less damage output, low HP max, and a GOD AWFUL attack speed, and may take more damage if I find how to do that. 
So what's being asked here is a little basic guide on how this works because I cant find anything online. My friends also wants to get crafting for their character and one of them's gonna somewhat revolve around some crafting recipies so this would very much help them as well if I could figure out this.