searching for save backup program

I've been trying to find something like this for a while now to help combat griefers, but all I can find on the web are tons of programs for backing up windows.  What I'm looking for is a program I can schedule to run every couple of days and save files of my chossing to a new folder with the date, so I have a series of backups I can reference if the griefers do something devastating that we don't catch immediately.  Every program I've found only wants to make a single continuously updating save. Does anyone know of a program like the one I'm looking for?

Create a batch script and use an event to fire periodically to invoke it, or if on *nix use a crontab to execute a bash script to do it.

Script contains whatever backup solution code you'd want to do, it's a bit specific to your tastes and setup.

once again, in english please? XD

I am on the low end of amateur as far as computer coding.  I can set up a server easily with a guide, but instructions to "go code this" are a bit out of my range of capabilities. I know what a batch file is, and I would guess the script is what's in the file, but I wouldn't know what to use for the scripting.

Just create a textfile as such:

del /q \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBackups\
cp /a \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBackups\

and save it as BackupDST.bat or whatever you wanna call it. Make sure it's actually a *.bat and not *.bat.txt, where the last .txt is hidden by Windows.

Before running it, make sure that the paths are correct on yor System, or if you want to save the backups in a different directory.

Afterwards you can either run it manually by double clicking it, or to a Windows Task sheduler job to run it in regular intervals of your chosing.

And what exactly does the coding here do?  del and cp look like delete and copy/past to me.  I don't necessarily want any backups deleted automatically, I'd rather it keeps an archive of them, so I can go back several days if need be, and I can manually delete the backlog myself when I do my periodic checks on the server computer.

Well this script keeps one copy at all times, and therefore deletes the old one before putting a new one in the same location.

You can modify it as such:

cp /a \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ "\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBackups\%DATE:/=-%_%TIME::=-%\"

to do a new backup every time with a timestamp in the folder name. Keep in mind that this will fill your drive eventually, depending on the size of your drive. So keep an eye on it just in case.

(I haven't tested this script, so it might need some tweaking, but in general it should work.)

crazy times at work, so sorry I couldn't answer sooner.  Thanks for the script, I'll be trying it out shortly.  Filling up the drive won't be an issue as I check up on the computer every couple of weeks (or whenever it gets the token glitch and won't appear in the lobby XD ) and I can clear backups at that time.  I just need one that can do a backup once a week in case I forget about it, and this should work well.  Thank you.

Archived