Visco-locks

I have started using visco-gel locks recently. What I found in several is the following effect:

image.png.7f91f7f101e3317f95542a364b770eac.png

This seems to be happening when some other liquid gets on the floor next to the visco-lock. In the picture it was from steam, but dupes not reaching the toilet in time seem to have the same effect.

I am wondering how much of a problem that is. A possible solution seems to be to install fluid-drains in the floor right next to the visco-lock. 

Has anybody found this eventually kills such a lock? Are there any other solutions besides installing drains? Thanks!

I just mop it up, starting with the tile one gap away from the lock (they mop adjacent tiles). It obviously reduces some mass each time you do this, so if it's a regular thing it could possibly be a problem for your use case, but I haven't had any issues yet.

8 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

I just mop it up, starting with the tile one gap away from the lock (they mop adjacent tiles). It obviously reduces some mass each time you do this, so if it's a regular thing it could possibly be a problem for your use case, but I haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks, that was what the info I was looking for. 

The easiest way to solve this, is to build a tile left and right of the bottom visco tile and make the whole thing 3 high. That should keep fluids from touching the visco gel, and as a bonus, your dupes will jump from one tile to the other, thus not going through the visco gel and getting wet debuf.

As for steam, I would recomend not using these kinds of locks there. A regular water lock should work fine there.

1 hour ago, suicide commando said:

The easiest way to solve this, is to build a tile left and right of the bottom visco tile and make the whole thing 3 high. That should keep fluids from touching the visco gel, and as a bonus, your dupes will jump from one tile to the other, thus not going through the visco gel and getting wet debuf.

Probably the best general approach. Thanks.

1 hour ago, suicide commando said:

As for steam, I would recomend not using these kinds of locks there. A regular water lock should work fine there.

This is very occasional surface steam from rockets launching or landing. I cool the launchpad with water. I do agree that for a real steam-room or the like a visco-lock may not the best choice. 

Archived