Malbatross Damage

How does the malbatross swoop attack work? I recently attempted to fight the thing, and found that it does over 65 damage when I'm wearing football helmets. This means the swoop attack must do over have a base damage of 325 or higher if damage is applied only once, or that the attack applies damage multiple times in less than a second. Is this intentional?

65 is approximate. The point is, it did far more damage than expected. 

I failed to reproduce the damage in a test world - I take the expected 15 damage with football helm equipped. I did notice that damage does get applied in multiple hits rapidly, so my guess is damage gets applied, helmet breaks, and damage gets applied between helmet breakage and automatic re-equipping of next helmet. So full damage is received in that small window.

It's also not restricted to my own hosted worlds. I've received high damage in dedicated servers as well. All the worlds are unmodded (my own world only uses global pause and api gem core).

1 hour ago, mistrbushido said:

or that the attack applies damage multiple times in less than a second.

It's because of this. I've noticed that the attack can hit you multiple times but I'm not 100% sure what causes it. I think it's when you're moving while in the bird while it's doing it's swoop attack?

Archived