Dupes dropping Sweep task for no apparent reason?

Hi!  I'm desperately trying to move a printed Slickster Larva egg out of my base.  I have an automatic despenser assigned to accept only Larva Eggs on Sweep Only, priority 9.  I have many idle dupes capable of this task and atmos suits available.  However, as soon as the egg is picked up it gets dropped, the sweep command is canceled, and the dupe who picked up the egg goes idle again.  This is very frustrating.

Help?!?  What could be stopping this task from being completed properly?

It's probably oxygen, lol, no seriously. Duplicants in "get to safe area" mode drop any item they are carrying, cancelling sweep tasks they are in the middle of etc.

Though you're talking about atmo suits, are they in atmo suits when picking up the egg?, there's also a few setups, (normally involving airlocks), where duplicants think they can do something, but cannot. (is the automatic dispenser right next to an airlock?) It's caused me grief a few times until i realised what was happening

The egg is in a "Very Breathable" oxygen environment.  Dupes can't wear atmo suits inside my base, so they'd have to put one on as they take the egg out.  The dispenser was right next to a manual airlock but I removed the airlock because it was taking heat damage, replaced it with mesh tiles, and removed the two tiles above the airlock so they should still be able to use the dispenser.  That was before I posted this thread and the problem was still happening.

I can try moving the dispenser over a couple of tiles.

Actually, I think I figured it out.  I had it as a Yellow Alert task, as soon as the egg was picked up the alert gets canceled.  I think that messes up the task priority and cancels the task.

Got it sorted, the egg is where I need it now.  Thanks!

Yellow Alert can override basic needs for the person doing the task, like a mini red alert. So if the person picking up the egg was hungry. You'd get that exact result

(because it's no longer an alert the second you pick it up, and in-progress tasks are overridden by basic needs)

In the future, when you are wanting something stored ASAP, put the yellow alert on the storage bin itself, not the item you want swept. Make sure the storage bin is either 'sweep only' or only has the item you want in there checked. 

Archived