Wild Hatch 'farm'

In my current game on oasis, I have collected around 100 wild hatches as I've excavated the map.  Now I have my domesticated stables up and running, but these extra wild hatches are all in a single room and quite happy.  Since the room is 'open' I don't get cramped or overcrowded, they live out their 100 cycles and die of natural causes leaving meat and egg shells.  I have sweepers to carry away any egg shells and other resources produced.

I was hoping to get free meat from this, but the problem I'm having is that the hatches eat any meat that drops before the auto sweepers can grab it.  I don't need any more coal and would prefer the meat.  I've found online dozens of automated hatch farms for domesticated hatches, of every shape and form.  Is there any for wild hatches?  Is there anyway to rescue the meat?

I'd try to passively sift their eggs instead of leaving them to the open asteroid. You could try the water trap from this post. It gives the hatches an extra tile of space. They can still jump down to eat the food, but the sweeper should be able to get the drops in time.

Simplified version: Hatches lay eggs or die, they drop loot through the open pneumatic door. Sweeper picks up meat drops before hatches can get to them. Hatches will try to stay above the water if it is greater than 350kg. If you add too much water, your new born hatches will drown.

image.png.af73d125a8b761bc8a4211b155df8b5d.png

2 hours ago, Crimsontide said:

So the hatches stay on top of the door, but the meat falls through?

Yes. Eggs also fall through too. If you want to segregate your wild from your tamed, you should lock access to the wild pool and use an auto sweeper to collect the meat/eggshells/coal.

This is what you're looking for. From your original post, I think you can implement it, excuse my screenshot and just focus on the design which reflects well on how hatch behaves.

Eggs are delivered to drop off chute at water tile. When egg are hatched, baby critter will escape drowning by moving to the right. (It has to be 2x tile available to immediate right of water tile) if you do a vertical door of 1 tile availability, newborn will dies while adult can maneuver out of drowning.

Put a sweeper at the bottom where the eggs and meat will drop. Let me know if there are flaws, this has been working well for me though.

Untitled.png

I've been using a similar design to @BLACKBERREST3:  2 tile width room, 350-950 kg water per tile, and a vertical open pneumatic door.  They live their entire life on top of the door, eggs fall inside the door to a different "room", babies live in the water, and when they grow into adults they hop back up onto the door due to their water aversion.  I know I get meat out of this setup; although I've also never confirmed a large amount of hatches wouldn't give issues with sweeping meat out in time.  The room must be 12 tiles or larger, but it can hold as many hatches as you want.  I also do a similar 1 tile wild critter living for drecko, pip, shine bug, puft, and pacu.  I've sandbox tested a shovevole design, and my slickster design worked but there's usually not many of them so I just let them hang out in the oil biome.

I have a video on hatch movement and water aversion mechanics if you'd like more information on that:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Gamers Handbook said:

I have a video on hatch movement and water aversion mechanics if you'd like more information on that:

Could you make one for slicksters, I haven't gotten around to learning about their movements yet. Someone said once that if you use alt-q or debug spawn them, they won't ground properly. Their movements seems inconsistent to me, but I have yet to fully test them.

These also apply to hatches. Water cohesion mechanics will make 1 full tile of water out a couple grams. You probably already knew this from your other post.

I had made a video for another person on this thread. Not too big a deal, but your video says that they will never return to the water between 350-949kg. Just the first 50 seconds of the vid demonstates that they can be coaxed back in, you don't have to watch the rest of it. A lot of your video also applies to the mechanics of pips and dreckos too, the only difference being able to scale walls.

@BLACKBERREST3 I plan on making a similar video for all critters eventually, however I've hit a snag on slicksters and I didn't wanna put out incomplete information.  See, for some reason they can drown.  I'm not sure why, and it sure seems like a bug, but sometimes they'll just get in the liquid instead of on top, vibrate for several cycles, and die. No warnings, nothing.  I think I've saved them with tiles under them before, and I've definitely fixed it by removing the liquid.  But until I figure that out I'm holding off on a video.  They also don't seem to ride on liquid until it's a minimum depth.

Yup, the C shaped drop was one I forgot to include with my hatch video.  It's a favorite of mine for drecko though, because it can be placed in a wall.

Hmm, I didn't think of trying food at the time.  I actually changed up the design of my 1 tile hatch "zoo" because of that thread.  No more meat for them!

Yup, they won't cross without something to stand on at the far side.  With an increase in distance they really resist crossing something they can drown in as well, but it's inconsistent where the final line may really be.  In my testing 2 tiles deep was just an instant nope for them though.

Just now, Gamers Handbook said:

@BLACKBERREST3 I plan on making a similar video for all critters eventually, however I've hit a snag on slicksters and I didn't wanna put out incomplete information.  See, for some reason they can drown.  I'm not sure why, and it sure seems like a bug, but sometimes they'll just get in the liquid instead of on top, vibrate for several cycles, and die. No warnings, nothing.  I think I've saved them with tiles under them before, and I've definitely fixed it by removing the liquid.  But until I figure that out I'm holding off on a video.  They also don't seem to ride on liquid until it's a minimum depth.

Nice, you literally described my experience with them. I'm glad someone gets it. I've been a little busy with the uni, but the slickster and the gassy moo are the last two critters I haven't fully studied yet. I'll let you know if I find anything about them. There was a post once, I'm not sure if I can find it or not, but one guy was moving slicksters up and down with horizontal pneumatic doors. I'll have to find that thread.

I was trying to test slicksters movements from this post, and like you said; they drown themselves :(

I tried a build like that in like June.  Basically my conclusions were the same as his. 

I have decided it's a lot easier for me to just park them on like 3 mesh tiles behind a locked mesh door with a dropper to insert the eggs (could put a critter dropper up top if you want too).  Then I just pump CO2 to the oil biome and it eventually gets over to them and they eat it.  I have no need to ranch them, they're ravenous enough for me when wild, and they won't die if they eat all my CO2 (which they always do).  And this way, they never drown!  :mad:

Here's what I tried:

20190619202456_1.thumb.jpg.57b202512c8dc52012ad16a89eb692e7.jpg

Cool, that is really useful as a demonstration pic.

10 minutes ago, Gamers Handbook said:

I have no need to ranch them, they're ravenous enough for me when wild, and they won't die if they eat all my CO2 (which they always do).  And this way, they never drown!

You get more food out of them when they are glum and overcrowded. but thats if you were going for a super colony. If all you want to do is get rid of the carbon, then doing that is just fine. For me, I would try to convert all my slicksters into molten ones. The properties of petrol are superior to crude oil. I like to go for efficiency even if I don't need it.

Archived