Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Ryuziel

Tsunamis and floods

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I came here to give some suggestions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some old players are usually saying that the game is not really difficult, and I agree with them, sometimes the challenges of the game are not very ... challenging? With a little practice you can overcome everything.
With the recent updates, where our survivors are exploring the sea, ships are wrecking, we notice a bigger interaction with the edges of the map, where now, it's not the end anymore, it's water that can be sail, with this in mind, I was thinking in how to improve this "water interaction" and add some difficulties to the game.

Let's imagine the spring, rains a lot (even frogs), in real world, at some places when rains a lot it's common to happen floods. 
At a mid or late game, imagine this in DST:

There is water everywhere, players are walking a little slower, getting wet, the loots that were on the floor are being slowly carried by the water, and we have to run to get them or the water will take them to the sea.
And what about a tsunami? We have earthquakes inside the caves, why not a tsunami on a surface, a powerful wave that comes carrying everything, like machines, chests, crock pots and refrigerators?

This event could add more importance to the walls, I mean, if you don't build some walls around your things the water will take everything away, and who knows where them may stop?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading

Edit 1: You all just can think in the creation of something that protect your base? Or this event be caused by a boss? As such Antlion does with her craters?
Like: If you don't feed or kill this boss a big tsunami will happen, c'mon guys, just think a little, and the objective of te game is to survive, It's not playing house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This would be a horrible for the game as it ruins megabasing.

Liked having that giant storage area or precisely placed kitchen well f you because who cares what you like to see or use, we need to add abirtarty difficulty.

You like have roads lined with gold or just not having to make chests? Well then you might wanna fence of your base less they gain momentum and go into the deep blue!

It just would be entirely frustrating and pointless to deal with as it conflicts too much with how base set up works. This also kills mega bases as the chance that all of your work will just randomly be up rooted and changed isn't fun or interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, metallichydra said:

insert "stupid idea, it ruins megabasing, and megabasing is what you would expect from a game called "dont starve"" here

-----------> _________________________________________________________________________________

Apparently mega base is the only goal of the game.
I mean, it's just an idea, could be explored, people who likes mega bases, if you don't kill or give toys to Antlion it will cause some craters on your base, just to remember.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, metallichydra said:

insert "stupid idea, it ruins megabasing, and megabasing is what you would expect from a game called "dont starve"" here

-----------> _________________________________________________________________________________

You lnow what, thats true, but the problem is that it doesn't just apply to mega bases, they are just tje player's who get screwed over the most. I can admot that I did not see the wall part about tje tsunami and I apologize but it just adds a arbitrary condtion to basing.  Having to place walls everywhere just slows you down so tjat ypu make a border arpund your base but then that limits expansion as you jave to build new walls every single time you want to make any large edition such as more chests, crockpots, and drying racks. It limits the openess of the game and sort of forces you to base on the caves so you don't have to spend absurd amounts of time making and upkeeping the walls you made. DST is slowly adding more and different ways off being creative and having alternatives for commonly used structures or items, like the salt box or the glass cutter. This would restrict creativity because instead of a open style base where its more inviting and seems like it wanta you to stay, you are forced for it to be more like a paranoid bunker as you nees to encompass your base in walls at all times no matter what because of your fear of a event that might not happen at all since its random.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/10/2019 at 7:46 AM, Frashaw27 said:

This would be a horrible for the game as it ruins megabasing.

Liked having that giant storage area or precisely placed kitchen well f you because who cares what you like to see or use, we need to add abirtarty difficulty.

You like have roads lined with gold or just not having to make chests? Well then you might wanna fence of your base less they gain momentum and go into the deep blue!

It just would be entirely frustrating and pointless to deal with as it conflicts too much with how base set up works. This also kills mega bases as the chance that all of your work will just randomly be up rooted and changed isn't fun or interesting.

You all just can think in the creation of something that protect your base? Or this event be caused by a boss? As such Antlion does with her craters?
Like: If you don't feed or kill this boss a big tsunami will happen, c'mon guys, just think a little, and the objective of te game is to survive, It's not playing house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ryuziel said:

You all just can think in the creation of something that protect your base? Or this event be caused by a boss? As such Antlion does with her craters?
Like: If you don't feed or kill this boss a big tsunami will happen, c'mon guys, just think a little, and the objective of te game is to survive, It's not playing house.

You know that is a good idea, make a boss do a certin event that forces you to kill it or deal with it, it sounds really good and I think it has name, I think it's Antlion maybe? In all seriousness, we already have the concept of a boss that does that thing and it would feel lazy just to rehash it. The craters don't equal the strength and magnitude of a Tsnami. The craters cam easily be drawn away from a base for this reason, to have to force you to deal with it but also giving you a chance to salvage or avoid it, ypu can't do that with a tsunami. Tsunamis are insanely huge and most certinly can't be avoided simply by running or any method of escape with exception of teleporting. They just wouldn't fit with the game with a gameplay stand point. They are just way too demanding of the player to either a) kill the creature that is large enpugh to create a tsunami or b) have to constantly get materials to get and maintain walls just to ignore the consequences of not killing a proable titan. On the point of the game being house,you are true that the point of the game is survival but it also isn't shipwrecked survival. The ocean is side content like the ruins or the atruim, you can survive just fine without them. You shouldn't force content onto the players just to make it difficult with no reward besides avoiding the consequence, its boring and ferls unfair that you are semi forced to go out into the sea and kill this thing just so that you Don't have to spend even more time dealing with Tsunamis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

You know that is a good idea, make a boss do a certin event that forces you to kill it or deal with it, it sounds really good and I think it has name, I think it's Antlion maybe? In all seriousness, we already have the concept of a boss that does that thing and it would feel lazy just to rehash it. The craters don't equal the strength and magnitude of a Tsnami. The craters cam easily be drawn away from a base for this reason, to have to force you to deal with it but also giving you a chance to salvage or avoid it, ypu can't do that with a tsunami. Tsunamis are insanely huge and most certinly can't be avoided simply by running or any method of escape with exception of teleporting. They just wouldn't fit with the game with a gameplay stand point. They are just way too demanding of the player to either a) kill the creature that is large enpugh to create a tsunami or b) have to constantly get materials to get and maintain walls just to ignore the consequences of not killing a proable titan. On the point of the game being house,you are true that the point of the game is survival but it also isn't shipwrecked survival. The ocean is side content like the ruins or the atruim, you can survive just fine without them. You shouldn't force content onto the players just to make it difficult with no reward besides avoiding the consequence, its boring and ferls unfair that you are semi forced to go out into the sea and kill this thing just so that you Don't have to spend even more time dealing with Tsunamis.

I appreciate your interest on the idea, but I think you're not thinking in all the particularities of the game.
Like, the meteors have an specific biome to fall, why not the tsunami?
hmm, and if we add an magic idol in the shadow manipulator that you can place to repel the water from your base, as the lightning rod does.
I believe Klei could fit it into the game without compromising gameplay, but only by making the game a little more challenging, because with recent updates we've seen things that make the game easier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites