I have never outplayed myself so hard before...

I just have to share it cause what I did made me EEK! IRL. So I had this lovely field of killer bee hives in my world and in single player DS I usually handled bees with lureplants. I found some so I went ahead and planted them. Few days later I made my way to the field to see they have already bloomed and I could go forth with the killer bee hive eradication.

It turns out they respawn very fast and I didn't go there prepared for some heavy battling I was kinda-sorta kiting them around the plants and hitting the hives in the intervals where there were no bees around. Maybe not the most efficient way of doing things, but one of my favorite things to do in DS is pitting one evil thing vs another so I didn't mind.

So then I had the nearby hives destroyed and I figured it's time to move my eyeplant further into the field to handle the next batch. As usual. As always.

And then the game said: YOU FOOL!

The plant died and from its corpse emerged HUNDREDS of killer bees. They popped out in a long row which for a quarter of a second my mind considered a glitch as I was sure all I'd get would be honey and stingers. Before I managed to compute what the hell just happened and get to running the bees have awoken and killed my 20 HP, raincoated ass.

The end.

Hard surprise. Maybe you could prevent yourself, did you never find a bird alive from a dead plant ? I never saw bees in it, but she captures small animals alive. Can someone confirm for rabbit ? Im not sure if I saw one, once.

Wormood's armor can be good to fight killer bees and farm stingers.

20 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

Hard surprise. Maybe you could prevent yourself, did you never find a bird alive from a dead plant ? I never saw bees in it, but she captures small animals alive. Can someone confirm for rabbit ? Im not sure if I saw one, once.

Wormood's armor can be good to fight killer bees and farm stingers.

Any animal that can be held in the inventory will be picked up by a lureplant, instead of killing it. If the plant dies before digesting the animal, it will be released alive and well.

Some context, since people are replying and just explaining how Lureplants work: Ellilea mentioned that they usually deal with bees using Lureplants in Don't Starve. In DS, Lureplants will instantly kill any animals they pick up, which would've resulted in those bees being instantly converted to honey and stingers, but here in DST it resulted in a beesplosion. It's definitely one of those little differences that can take you off guard whenever you play both games!

Archived