Prehistoric Biome Ideas Gathering

Hello I'm the dude that is working on the mod for the new hatch morphs but after that is done and the line of new critters is done i wanna work on a whole biome.

I've been thinking about adding a prehistoric biome, prehistoric hatch, the one shown on the fossils brought on the space missions, lime, fossil and adding new resours and plants.

I'd be glad to read your ideas and discuss them.

Concept:

A biome full of fossil, CO2, Natural Gas and new critters. Most of its resources, plants and critters are found bury on tiles as fossils. To adquired them a fossil and the "genetic sampler" building must be use to produce a seed/egg.

• New elements

• Cyanide: Found inToxic Water, produced by a Geyser, Toxic water can be purified in the water sieve. The cyanide extracted can be use to get a 100% conversation on amalgam gold, fertilizer, component for genetic manipulation.

• Calcium: Found as Sedimentary calcium carbonate on watered tiles, can be processed to get calcium and lime. Can be use for strenght pills, hyper inmuno booster, fertilizer, component for genetic manipulation.

•  
  • New plants

• Guinea banana: Exotic plant that lived on very high pressure environment. Can live on CO2, natural gas, oxygen but needs a hight pressure to thrive. Needs Cyanide as fertilizer and its fruit is edible. In contact with CO2 it will consume it and release natural gas.

• unknown.png

• Granaloe: A succulent plant that needs toxic water to live properly. Uses calcium as fertilizer and its fruit is edible. Can live in any atmosphere and in case of natural gas, it will consume it to produce oxygen in small rates.

• unknown.png

• klenoxy: Decor plant. Eats polluted oxygen and produces oxygen to a lesser degree.

• decor_detoxer.png.09a3a7f5ccfb74743ae99f2145612fcb.png

• Aspacagus: Decor plant. Is able to survive in the space.
    • decor_space_living.png.6e432ede8ed4157a4c7ca03729a8e68b.png
  • New critters

• Prehistoric hatch: Eats x to lime. needs CO2 to live.

• unknown.png

• [dropped]Prehistoric puft: Eats CO2 to Refine carbon 

• Bug critter: source of meat and silk for new clothing. If the egg is lay on the day it will produce a butterfly otherwise a moth, this is not obvious until the stage of cocoon is past. The worm is very hungry and will eat constantly, is a source of meat. The cacoon does nothing but burn through the calories accumulated. The adults produce silk and scales, both ingredients for new clothing. Scale time varies from butterfly to moth. 

Butterfly

Moth

Pretty scales: ingredient with silk for Clothes, provides inner Decor

Prettier: Decor 3

Resilient scales: ingredient with silk for Clothes, provides some heat resistant and usable in Speed pills

Decor 1

zIi2piYxMtIOVzi16uvF1WYcPuefWG1qf9gYT9K0MwwJBCNAT6CLPuVZNSYOxVpRtZjkiLdcibUef40kRFZUFcEmxJJ00iiDsbwgEw3Tv3bvAZGBc5TGbSe1ypM7z4I5w4NZ-zmJ

• New Toxic fish: Slowly removes cyanide from the water.

• Clam: this one needs more iterations but the idea is sort of there. Cant move and uses its tongue to eat.

alpia_clam_egg.png.9d0f224f71578a3abf82f2ab27a836be.pngalpia_clam_baby.png.94ea2cbbf6fee8c3b0d92034e7b91aa4.png5d8900a322b11_alpiaclam2.png.f84889f33b0f735c9fbebb1787ff2768.png

• New buildings and recipes

• Calcium to Steel:

• Amalgam gold+Cyanide to Gold:

• Calcium to Strength Pills:

• Sedimentary Calcium Carbonate to Calcium + Lime:

• Fossil reanimator: Converts fossil to egg and seeds.

14 hours ago, erny0507 said:

Another Critter reskin, new ideas are wellcome.

A Rusty Drecko?
A "adapted" Moo that don't need to eat that-tree-that-need-absolutely-not-needed-light

14 hours ago, erny0507 said:

Plant that gives fruits that thrives on carbon (so oxyfern is not effect directly)

a wort will be easy, change color, make it on top each other and give it flower haha

1 hour ago, Haze33E said:

A one tile plant that grows upside down consumes hydrogen and produces light.

what would be benifit? just light? maybe an intense light enought for gas grass? 

5 hours ago, N00bieMeap said:

A Rusty Drecko?
A "adapted" Moo that don't need to eat that-tree-that-need-absolutely-not-needed-light

a wort will be easy, change color, make it on top each other and give it flower haha

Explain rusty drecko please.

The moos are aliens, i think they are out of the theme for this.

14 minutes ago, erny0507 said:

what would be benifit? just light? maybe an intense light enought for gas grass? 

Maybe for use with solar panels like you can with shine bugs. Maybe add another element that causes the plants to glow brighter.

3 hours ago, Haze33E said:

Maybe for use with solar panels like you can with shine bugs. Maybe add another element that causes the plants to glow brighter.

First part yes, second doesnt seem good but, the detail is i think hydrogen generator already exists, so it has to have a difference with overall use of that building

7 hours ago, Haze33E said:

The clam could slowly consume germs in water in a 3x3 area around itself. It could poop out a small amount of fertilizer.

image.png.834ccdbef4fdc47b47423f9c013936

I made a previous design for an germ eating critter. I think it about and the clam could be a germ eat, cooling critter, water living while the slug could be just for gases.

Plants:

What separates the guinea banana plant from dusk caps?  If it just consumes CO2, then it's largely just something that makes the game easier.  You just plop down as many as you can for free carbon skimming and free food.  It should require either some irrigation or fertilization with a material that's either in limited supply or requires manufacturing to create a production line for the food type.  Alternatively, make it something that you cook with something else to get a useful food and requires sufficient CO2 per ingredient to cause problems.  Any opportunity for a new puzzle to solve is an opportunity for more fun.

The granaloe plan runs into the issue of natural gas being something that is extremely valuable to the player and if in limited supplies they usually have to spend on the gas range first.  If you increase the supply of natural gas to compensate, the player just gets huge amounts of free power.  The plant has to compete with the best power source in the game and I can't see a situation where you'd grow it without having a huge surplus of natural gas.  Unless the intention is to use it as a power free way of scrubbing natural gas in your base from a flatulent dupe or from the new biome.  It's basically a dasha saltvine in that case, an early way to delete an unwanted gas rather than venting it.  Except that if you capture this gas, you can get a bunch of electric power with minimal waste out of it.

I'd recommend making it at least consume something less valuable for other uses or make the plant really good and require some sort of extreme environment for an interesting puzzle.  For example, requiring a steam atmosphere creates an entirely new puzzle to solve to farm it.

@N00bieMeap ur art is great, ill use as inspiration i think. Ill add more flowers i think. Ill post the design when ready thanks for sharing ur idea.

3 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Plants:

What separates the guinea banana plant from dusk caps?  If it just consumes CO2, then it's largely just something that makes the game easier.  You just plop down as many as you can for free carbon skimming and free food.  It should require either some irrigation or fertilization with a material that's either in limited supply or requires manufacturing to create a production line for the food type.  Alternatively, make it something that you cook with something else to get a useful food and requires sufficient CO2 per ingredient to cause problems.  Any opportunity for a new puzzle to solve is an opportunity for more fun.

The granaloe plan runs into the issue of natural gas being something that is extremely valuable to the player and if in limited supplies they usually have to spend on the gas range first.  If you increase the supply of natural gas to compensate, the player just gets huge amounts of free power.  The plant has to compete with the best power source in the game and I can't see a situation where you'd grow it without having a huge surplus of natural gas.  Unless the intention is to use it as a power free way of scrubbing natural gas in your base from a flatulent dupe or from the new biome.  It's basically a dasha saltvine in that case, an early way to delete an unwanted gas rather than venting it.  Except that if you capture this gas, you can get a bunch of electric power with minimal waste out of it.

I'd recommend making it at least consume something less valuable for other uses or make the plant really good and require some sort of extreme environment for an interesting puzzle.  For example, requiring a steam atmosphere creates an entirely new puzzle to solve to farm it.

Thanks for ur feedback, ill integrate new ideas it is a bit more interesting. Maybe later or tomorrow. Ill post about plant and its gameplay ideas.

New idea:

Guinea banana: eats CO2 and convert it to natural gas. Needs cyanide as fertilizer. Needs high pressure atmos. Fruit is edible.

Granaloe: eats small quantities of natural gas and converts to oxygen. Water with toxic water, uses calcium as fertilizer. Fruit is edible.

Oily moss: eats natural gas and converts to hidrogen, live and produces a fruit which can be crushed into plastic and coal. Water with salty water in small quantities.

Icy lily: Lives in liquids and reduces temperature up to -20C, its flower can be use for medicine (strenght pills with calcium). Need cyanide as fertilizer.

@DarkMaster13 please check this idea

Guinea banana: So it's a sort of slickster/oxyfern plant.  High pressure is a good idea for a farming challenge.  It means the player will need to either use atmosuits or take popped eardrums.  Or fully automate the farm and wait for the plants to drop (you can get around that by making them take a very long time to drop).  It should maybe be used on a plant that doesn't generate gases, though consuming them is fine.  Oxyferns tend to create very high pressures on their lower tile, so the wilted plant could potentially pressure itself without needing to be in a separate chamber.  The player will need a high-pressure vent in that case, which requires plastic.

Granaloe: Since it produces oxygen it suggests that the player would want this sitting in a pit so the oxygen can get up into their base.  They could also pump the oxygen out of the room.  The plant sounds like it would be fairly comparable to lettuce for growth difficulty, maybe a slight step up.  You don't have to worry about temperature, like sleet wheat or nosh sprouts.  Though it needs to be fairly valuable if it consumes natural gas.  If this amount is quite low, shouldn't be too much of a problem.  The generator uses 90 g/s for 800 watts, so I'd aim for something closer to 4-8 g/s for a domestic plant (1-2 g/s for wild).

Oily moss: I don't think there's should be too many gas eating plants, especially not natural gas.  Unless the intention is that this plant doesn't actually reduce your power output, since you can just burn the hydrogen.  Instead this is something you can use to get plastic from natural gas at the cost of the polluted water and a bit of power?  That's probably fine then.

Icy lily: I actually like this one a fair bit.  An alternative to balm lily that also does some cooling.  Cooling you actually have to counter or else it will freeze the water it's sitting in.  Tricky to strike a balance between it giving too much cooling value and being so low that it's ignored.  Maybe keep it's growth band fairly limited?  Between -20 and +10?

Archived