Exhaust from generators

image.png.00fc15a5bc9de944b8ba653efe206d58.png

Hi there,

sorry if this was covered somewhere else...

Many buiding have this excretions with a min temperature, but...

I'm recording polluted water at the generator temp (29°C) directely at the exit (should be 40°C, or it's instant cooling ?!?)

I'm recording 29°C CO² right at the exit pipe (should be 110 0C)

image.png.3bbdf75a9a02b5d554efc3021bf40f53.png

Surrounding is 29°C, nat gas arrived at a cool 25°C.

Is this a bug, a mislabelling of the tooltip ? This can dramaticely change the way (the where, which biome) i put my generator rooms.

By the way, other buildings have the same tag (produces XX at least at XX °C or hotter..) is it also misleading?

Thanks for the answers if you have them ;)

CO2 has a very small heat capacity, and the generator doesnt ouput much at all, so it might just instantly cool down the moment it is created.

It could still be bugged.

I am certain though that the polluted water output works. My pool equalizes at 39.5°C, even when my generators are cooled to between 10°C and 25°C.

Yeah, I've found that the output from a single generator running intermittently (as your screenshot suggests) has little to no impact on my overall base temperature -- especially if my oxygen pressure is close to 2kg per cell.  The CO2 output has virtually no impact, and the polluted water doesn't have enough mass to shift the temperature much.  

Unless you're running a generator continually, or multiple generators.  Things ramp up pretty quickly.   Lets look at the numbers for a nat gas generator.  It outputs 67.5g/s of polluted water and 22.5g/s of CO2.  For the ease of this experiment, lets assume that the output temperatures of both are 40c and your base (and generator) are at 20c.  Lets also assume that your generator is made of copper, the tiles under it are sandstone, and lets also assume that the 12 tiles of gas directly in contact with the generator are full of 2kg each of oxygen.  W're going to ignore the gas pipe fueling the generator, and we're going to ignore the segments of pipe from the exhaust and simply assume the 22.5kg of CO2 drops out of the generator like the polluted water does.  We're going to choose 0oC as our "zero" point for thermal energy.  W're also going to ignore the thermal output of the generator itself while operating.

First, the mass of the generator is 800kg of copper ore, which has a SHC of 0.386 DTU/g/oC.  At 20c, this gives a relative thermal energy of 6.176 million DTU.  The four sandstone tiles is another 800kg, but sandstone has a SHC of 0.8 DTU/g/oC, so the tiles have a relative thermal energy of 12.8 million DTU.  Oxygen has a SHC of 1.005 DTU/g/oC.  12 tiles at 2kg/tile is 24kg, which adds another 482.4 thousand DTU.  Combined, the base thermal energy of our system is 19.45 million DTU.

Next, lets find the energy in our outputs.  Polluted water has a SHC of 4.179, so 67.5g of PH2O at 40c has a relative thermal energy of 11300 DTU.  Carbon Dioxide with a SHC 0.846 will have a relative thermal energy of 760 DTU for every 22.5g at 40c.  So combined, our outputs are adding about 12 thousand DTU of thermal energy per second.

Since the mass of our system holds about 19.45 million DTU of energy, the meager 12 thousand DTU of the outputs is almost negligible for intermittent operation.  Its literally a drop in the bucket compared to the overall energy of the system.  However, if the system runs for a solid minute, then we'll be adding about 720 thousand DTU to the system which will result in a very slight warming -- about 3.7%.  The longer the system runs, the more this extra energy will build up.  10 minutes of running (a full cycle) will add 7.2 million DTU to the overall relative energy of the system, warming the area by about 37%.

Granted, in an actual build, the thermal energy will continue to disperse through the base, but you get the idea.  Running for 5 or 10 seconds at a time will barely affect the temperature of the area and your outputs will quickly reach ambient temperatures.  However, running continually for a cycle can significantly warm the system up. 

Archived