Dynamic output temp vs Set Output Temp (with heat addition)

I know everyone talking about whether or not they like the heat deletion changes and this isn't really meant to be a rant adding to it. I mostly want to ask why the devs went in the route they did rather then Dynamic output temperature? I do agree that heat deletion needed to be addressed but why do it in such a round-about way just to add artificial difficulty to heat management? I have played around with mods in the previous update that changed things to dynamic temp output and I thought it made the game a lot better IMO. There was no heat deletion and machines still produced heat that needed to be dealt with but if I put in cool water it didn't randomly heat up my base just because I was using a siv. I'm curious what people's opinions are because it seems like most people that are mad about the update is not because they want heat deletion (obviously some do) but most seem annoyed at the backwards idea that you remove heat deletion while still maintaining random heat creation (aside from what the machine itself produces by running). I feel like dynamic output temps answers both problems that people have. In all honesty I'll probably just use the mods anyways when this update releases but I was hoping to get some peoples opinions and maybe even one of the devs opinions (though I doubt they will comment, but still want to ask the question).

5 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

I mostly want to ask why the devs went in the route they did rather then Dynamic output temperature? I do agree that heat deletion needed to be addressed but why do it in such a round-about way just to add artificial difficulty to heat management?

but most seem annoyed at the backwards idea that you remove heat deletion while still maintaining random heat creation (aside from what the machine itself produces by running).

You said it yourself =)

A R T I F I C I A L

D I F F I C U L T Y

4 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

You said it yourself =)

A R T I F I C I A L

D I F F I C U L T Y

As if being trapped inside an insulated asteroid in a universe where radiation doesn't exist isn't enough.

2 minutes ago, Risu said:

As if being trapped inside an insulated asteroid in a universe where radiation doesn't exist isn't enough.

lol ikr I bet they're saving radiation for the dlc though sounds like it would be a massive update 

10 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

You said it yourself =)

A R T I F I C I A L

D I F F I C U L T Y

Yeah I figured that was probably a main reason but was curious if they had any other reasons. But in general it seems like many people are upset at heat management in this update, and now that there is mod support what is the point of forcing people into a bunch of changes the majority of people seem dissatisfied with if the players might just end up changing it themselves through mods? Seems counter intuitive to me.

I'd bet that coding a system for dynamic temperature output would:

1. Be a headache to incorporate into the current game 
  2. Cause even more mid/late game lag.
  3. Both.

Here's hoping that I'm wrong and it happens, though.

40 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

Yeah I figured that was probably a main reason but was curious if they had any other reasons.

Keeping the heat addition is a really lazy make the game harder. It's probably way easier than balancing mapgen or machine requirements. IMO it adds no depth and flushes the idea of consistent game design down the drain.

I think removing heat deletion is perfectly fine though. It might lead to new content for the purpose of cooling which would be awesome but it will never justify the heat addition aspect.

EDIT: IIRC they confirmed on stream yesterday that it's for the sake of artificial difficulty.

38 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

EDIT: IIRC they confirmed on stream yesterday that it's for the sake of artificial difficulty.

Well that's a little frustrating if that's their only reason. Realistically what's the point if people just end up modding the feature out anyway? Plus I thought some of the new world features and world types were supposed to be there for added difficulty as well as the customization options (such as more hunger, morale, stress, oxyen etc.) to add difficulty. So whats the point of taking something that was simply a little unbalanced at best and annoying at worst and just making it more annoying. They have so many ways of making the game more difficult by just shifting a few numbers around on other features this seems ridiculous.

I guess this is one thing that could reasonably be a difficulty setting.  While fixed outputs probably trivializes too much about the game, for example completely nullifying metal refinery coolant heating, I can see an argument made for being able to choose if you want clamped output, always equal output, and whether or not the system increases the temperature or not.

So something like this:

• Equal output (easiest): The output for liquid refineries is always equal to the temperature of the combined inputs.
  • Clamped equal output (default): The output for liquid refineries is always equal to the temperature of the combined inputs, but each building has a minimum output temperature.  This is the current setup.
  • Heated output (hard): The output for liquid refineries is always equal to the temperature of the combined inputs plus a fixed increase in temperature.
  • Clamped heated output (hardest): The output for liquid refineries is always equal to the temperature of the combined inputs plus a fixed increase in temperature,  but each building also has a minimum output temperature.

27 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

Plus I thought some of the new world features and world types were supposed to be there for added difficulty as well as the customization options (such as more hunger, morale, stress, oxyen etc.) to add difficulty. So whats the point of taking something that was simply a little unbalanced at best and annoying at worst and just making it more annoying. They have so many ways of making the game more difficult by just shifting a few numbers around on other features this seems ridiculous.

My sentiments down to the wire!

Archived