Mod prototype available: critter killing station

Since all release features seem to be now implemented, it seems clear that the only automate-able way to get meat remains drowning or temperature-killing (or other environment-killing, or starving). It seems cruel to me, so I'm posting here in a hope someone would be interested to make a mod with a building to kill critters in a some sort of humane way. I was thinking about modifying the critter drop-off, for example. That way it would be sort of balanced since it requires dupe interaction, and quite handy to use, and most of the mechanics seem to be there (although I am not sure what is moddable so this may not be the case). Power requirements may be added to make more sense to it, assuming it kills with electricity (better than drowning in my view of the world).

Or maybe there's already a mod for that and I just did not manage to find it?

I have never modded a game, but as I really think this is a missing piece that could make Ranching much more complete I start considering trying to write a mod like this myself. However this is likely to take a lot of time for me, so if someone is already planning to implement that or would be willing to implement that at some point, I'd be very happy to wait and continue staying away from the modding process. And of course I would gladly help with testing and whatever else I could do.

So I've tried to implement the simplest solution to this issue that I could come up with.

I have implemented a mod with a building that marks critters around itself to be killed by dupes. Section Food, area 7*4 (3 tiles left, 3 tiles right, 4 tiles down), refined metals as all sensors, using critter sensor skin.

I am not at all proficient with modding using Harmony, so I am not sure if this one is stable. Also making it configurable, adding a custom skin, uploading it to Steam and all that is above my current understanding. I may consider it later when an official modding guide is added.

So I am publishing it here - both the built file and the source code. Please feel free to do anything you like with it - use it, edit it, publish it on Steam, etc. 

Thanks a lot for all the modders out there in Discord and on this forum who helped me a lot with this one, both by answering my questions and publishing their source code on github!

CritterKiller.dll

CritterKillerPatches.cs

CritterKillerSensor.cs

CritterKillerSensorConfig.cs

I am not so great with art myself - I'm holding out with hope that Klei's [coming soon] post on mod tools has information to help us out more with working with on art assets for modding.

If you haven't already, check out @test447's profile and his github. He's created a a really awesome guide on making your own animations! You are so generous to provide your code, but I would hate to see someone else take credit without your knowledge. :)

Archived