Liquid Pipe Mechanics explained

How does it work? My problem is specifically that I try to move water from a cool slush geyser. It comes out at -15. I cool my base down and it gets up to 60. Then goes back to -5. Why do my pipes leak when it enters the cooling chamber? What materials should I use that withstand the temperature changes?

Something similar for my steelmaker. I use Petrol and it heats up to 150. Then I move it to create steam in another chamber. It cools down a bit and the pipe leaks before it reenters the steelmaker. Again, what material should I use for pipes midgame?

Pipes breaking is rarely, if ever, related to the pipes being damaged by their surroundings.  The overwhelming majority of the time, it is because their contents changed phase.  The liquid inside them either condensed into a solid, or evaporated into a gas.

The most reliable way to prevent this is to maintain a larger temperature buffer between the working range of your liquids and their freezing/boiling points.

4 hours ago, superhanz said:

How does it work? My problem is specifically that I try to move water from a cool slush geyser. It comes out at -15. I cool my base down and it gets up to 60. Then goes back to -5. Why do my pipes leak when it enters the cooling chamber? What materials should I use that withstand the temperature changes?

Something similar for my steelmaker. I use Petrol and it heats up to 150. Then I move it to create steam in another chamber. It cools down a bit and the pipe leaks before it reenters the steelmaker. Again, what material should I use for pipes midgame?

Redargless the external temperature, pipes have their own temperature that will be transfer to the fluid. In addition, the external temperature will be add on the fluid if you don't use a perfect insulator as the refined abyssalite (insulator).

To avoid this, here's some tips :

- Use bridges, they don't have any heat transfer the matter is just teleported from the entrance to the exit, it's not a glitch. You will just have to use insulated ceramic to connected them.

- Or place you pipe in a vacuum tunnel.

Globally, use insulated ceramic.

About petrol, it's weird, normally it doesn't break since it doesn't have a matter change like crude oil to petroleum. To avoid this you can use a valve to reduce the flow at 1Kg/s that prevent the break even if there's a matter change (100g/s for gas).

Archived