Character runs in wrong directions during lag sometimes?

I've noticed for awhile now that occasionally, when I enter and exit caves, my character will zip across the screen and sometimes stop, but sometimes they will keep going and in multiple directions for a very brief moment.

Just recently, I'm noticing the same behavior when hounds or depth worms attack. My character will be running in the right direction and then suddenly turn around and kind of zig zag around like she's possessed. My husband plays this game with me and I will point out when it happens (Normally a conversation that sounds like "Look at her!! Look at her!! She's doing it again, she's gonna get me killed!") During these moments I am literally not guiding her at all, my thumb is not even on the analog stick, and yet she runs around nonsensically for maybe 2 to 3 seconds before stopping.

I would post an example, but all you would see is my character acting stupid, not the fact I'm not controlling her.

We were speculating that it could be lag, but wouldn't that indicate that all the different moves she makes would have had to have been inputted by me and she was just catching up? Because I only move her in one direction, not in multiple ones.

Has anyone else been seeing this too, or am I just lucky like that?  XD

24 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

server suffers from tickrate loss and you have movement prediction enabled.

So disabling movement prediction could help?

Thanks so much for the answer! Now I have more tech stuff to Google lol (and I'm no mastermind :) )
I really want to understand these issues because when i really like a company I want to give them every benefit of the doubt that they are doing all they can at the moment to correct issues and bugs, but if I don't understand how it all work it's too easy to just blame the company without knowing their side. I don't like that feeling though. I'd rather think they are working on it and understand how issues happen in the first place. 

26 minutes ago, PSV_USA said:

So disabling movement prediction could help?

Thanks so much for the answer! Now I have more tech stuff to Google lol (and I'm no mastermind :) )
I really want to understand these issues because when i really like a company I want to give them every benefit of the doubt that they are doing all they can at the moment to correct issues and bugs, but if I don't understand how it all work it's too easy to just blame the company without knowing their side. I don't like that feeling though. I'd rather think they are working on it and understand how issues happen in the first place. 

Servers tick at a set rate for logic/physics updates.  Going slower than tick rate slows the simulation down, so an entity moving at N units per second would start moving slower in real time, but relative to all other entities moves at the same rate.

The movement prediction in this game hides it by showing you a fake version of your player moving to where the client thinks it should be, but not what the server says it is really at.  Disabling it you'll feel the latency of your connection and any hiccups the server is having at the time.

A small price to pay, something to get used to.  In the long run I'd recommend training yourself to compensate for the latency so you know exactly where you're at all the time.

29 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

The movement prediction in this game hides it by showing you a fake version of your player moving to where the client thinks it should be, but not what the server says it is really at.  Disabling it you'll feel the latency of your connection and any hiccups the server is having at the time.

I think I get it. Basically it's trying to make movement look smoother during lag, but what you see is not necessarily where you are in game. So you should learn to mentally take note of where you would be if moving in a general direction at a general pace regardless of what you may see during lag, so you know where you actually are...I think lol

@PSV_USA ive the same issue like you and i also have lag prediction enabled. my pc is to slow to play with lag prediction disabled. if i do that my char is standing next to an item and needs 2 sec reaction time to pick it.

the movemnet issue mostly happens when the game saves. sometimes my cgar is walking in one direction without me presssing any key. it wont stop till i press the key in which the char walks.

nvm this actually isnt the biggest problem if you play with lag prediction enabled. the biggest problem is its impossible to kite mobs cause you never see where your charachter in real stands. you can try as hard as you want but kiting a pig attack for example is impossible. thats why here my tip. play as wig and you dont need to kite. just tank

@BeliarBAD We are on PS4, but yes, those are the same things we have experienced. I had forgotten when I wrote the above responses to CarlZalph that we had already disabled the movement prediction in options for the exact reason you are stating, because our characters were getting stuck in the action of picking up an object or in the animation of exiting or entering the caves and we would actually die because hounds or depth worms or even a stupid flint falling during an earthquake would hit us while we waited for the game to respond lol

The thing is, we don't have the getting stuck in poses issue anymore since turning off the movement predictability. And things ran pretty well for a time, but yeah, now there's this "character moving on it's own" issue. I'm curious to see if turning the movement predictability feature back on will solve it, and if so will we have a revert to pausing in the middle of actions lol

We'll see tonight :)

Archived