Duplicants holding their breath should cause stress

This is a bit of weird logic in the game that I think could use addressing. Duplicants will recieve +10%/cycle stress as long as they are in an area with low oxygen, but will not recieve any stress penalty when they're holding their breath completely in lethal Chlorine. Weird, huh.

There should be a +15%/cycle stress if a Duplicant is not able to breathe, debuff disappears instantly once they can breathe again. This does that Duplicants spending a lot of time doing work while holding their breath while not in an exosuit/supplied with oxygen, will eventually be stressed out. Gives a better reason to supply oxygen to more places, because normally they just go and spend some time retaking their breath again, no big deal. More consequenses for poor oxygen.

I thought that in the grand scheme of things, +10%/cycle isn't a lot, since you aren't always spending time in low oxygen areas specifically, usually it's a good amount of oxygen, or it's no oxygen. You have to spend ten whole cycles in a low-oxygen area to get stressed out, and by the time those 10 cycles have passed, you've probably already inhaled all that oxygen.

I never noticed that. Actually dupes even look stressed when holding breath.

As for the amount it should be similar to how the wet debuffs work. Soggy feet is 10%, sopping wet is 20%. Similar low oxygen could be 10% and no oxygen 20%.

What effect will this have on game balance? Dupes are frequently in non-oxygen gasses. Does it mean that new players will gain on average +10% stress/cycle from the dupes who work in the CO2 at the bottom of the base? How much harder will it be for new players?

I agree it looks like a bug if there aren't any stress from no oxygen areas, but fixing it isn't really a matter of programming (that would likely be easy), but rather how much it will affect the game balance and if such a shift in game balance should be made shortly before the big release.

On 9.06.2019 at 11:43 PM, Nightinggale said:

What effect will this have on game balance? Dupes are frequently in non-oxygen gasses. Does it mean that new players will gain on average +10% stress/cycle from the dupes who work in the CO2 at the bottom of the base? How much harder will it be for new players?

It`s all about hitting the right spot. They could only get stressed after a few seconds of holding breath (when the holding breath animation kicks in) or only when they run back to catch breath.

I was actually worrid about working under water giving a combined 40% stress per cycle from the wet and oxygen debuffs.

Archived