Mod Request: Wrangle surplus by specified age (range)

With the current auto-wrangle system, the critter wrangled as surplus is completely random and, sometimes I end up losing a baby, or pregnant, critter... for their meat. This, ultimately, leads to the extinction of those critters, and makes long-term critter farming (at least in my set up) not a viable option in the long term.

I am thinking that the easiest thing would be to only auto-wrangle surplus of Elderly critters, since they no longer can provide eggs to further the ranch.. but a range might be necessary to avoid more cramped/overcrowding debuffs while waiting for the critters to get old.

Shouldn't this be a request to Klei? I mean the base game would benefit if auto wrangle would always fetch the oldest critter in the room rather than whatever critter happens to be nearest the dupe or whatever else it use for selecting a critter.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:56 PM, Nightinggale said:

Shouldn't this be a request to Klei? I mean the base game would benefit if auto wrangle would always fetch the oldest critter in the room rather than whatever critter happens to be nearest the dupe or whatever else it use for selecting a critter.

Hmm.. good point. I'll have to post this in the suggestions/feedback, as well. Couldn't hurt to have a mod in the meantime, though.

A user in the Steam modding forum said that I could do this...

Add critters to array, sort by critters.age high to low. CritterWrangleArray[0] is oldest.

Useful for autosweeping eggs as well when you sort by eggs.incubation low to high. EggSweepArray[0] is the least incubated egg.

But I don't know how that's done... 
would that work?

Yes it would work, but I wouldn't do it like that. It's too slow. Imagine you have a bunch of books and each has a random number printed on it. They are in random order and you are asked to find the book with the highest number. According to the proposal what you should do would be to take all the books and sort them all according to the number. Then take the book at the end of the sorted stack and place the rest back into the bookcase in random order for you to sort them again next time you need a book.

What I would do would be to point my finger on the first book, then go through the rest. Each time a book has a higher number than the one I'm pointing at, I will move my finger to the new book. Once I have gone through the list once, my finger will point to the book with the highest value. Same result, but much faster because I didn't waste time sorting all the books I wasn't interested in.

The same is true here. You just need the critter with the highest age. There is no need to spend more time on critters you already determined to be younger than some other critter.

I would worry about the auto sweeper though. Yes it could be done, but it seems that the auto sweeper is already a bit slow (at least when modded). Making it slower might not be a good idea. If anything, add an "egg only" sweeper to prevent all the other sweepers from wasting time searching for eggs.

The next question is where is the auto wrangling code and what does it look like. I don't know that and as such I can't be more specific on an implementation.

Archived