Does anyone have a rock to magma smelter design?

I'm having large amounts of less useful rock (Granite, Sendimentary) and i have LOTS of space materials. Is it possible to make a rock smelter to turn all that less useful rock into more useful rock. Hatches and coal is an alternative but only as a last resort, as i only use coal for kiln and ranching is hard on my dupes :)

It would have been awesome if the Molecular forge could do more things :D

Thanks! :)

16 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

What do you want with large quantities of igneous rock besides feeding to hatches? And if you wanted that, regiolith is easier to melt 

Why is regolith easier? I want to use the igneous for lots and lots of insulated pipes/tiles. I'm often running out, can you believe it? 

1 minute ago, nets said:

Why is regolith easier? I want to use the igneous for lots and lots of insulated pipes/tiles. I'm often running out, can you believe it? 

Pipes exchange temperature with the gas they are in. If your pipes are in a vacuum, they are perfectly insulated regardless of type of pipe or building material.

1 hour ago, Nightinggale said:

Pipes exchange temperature with the gas they are in. If your pipes are in a vacuum, they are perfectly insulated regardless of type of pipe or building material.

Absolutely. Just not at all practical inside an industrial complex, inside habitation, across the whole map, between tanks... Just to name a few.

Regolith has 1/5 the specific heat of igneous rock, so you actually generate heat by melting it. By using a heat exchanger to pre-warm the incoming regolith with the outgoing rock, you greatly reduce your heat requirements. 

Take a look at mafic rock for your insulated tile needs; it’s better than igneous rock (but not plumbable)  

if you’re set on a magmaficator, check out my 40kg/s regolith melter:

If you need something quick, a volcano or other constant heat source, a heat sealed room, and conveyors to feed it will work nice. It did used to require fancy wiring and other extra setup to make it not melt itself, but the latest major update introduced the conveyor chute, which really cuts that all out for the most part.

Be sure to use steel for the chute. Iron will work in a pinch if need be though.

EDIT: If I get a picture made of it, I'll put an example here.

Archived