Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

ButterStuffed

Interesting Willow Strats?

ButterStuffed    1,584

So, with the reworked Willow I have found a couple of neat strategies specifically for or easier to accomplish with Willow. If you've found some other things she can exclusively or more efficiently achieve please do share I am very interested.

Anyways, the strategies I have found so far.

• Easy nightmare fuel farming and passive nightmare fuel farming
    • Big Bernie aggro's nightmare monsters much better than his smaller alternative but unfortunately if the nightmare monster is able to attack you and you hit it sometimes they will de-aggro for a moment and attack you instead.(You can't just hold down F to kill them) Alternatively you can also just let him farm for you while passively insane and he'll actually be able to handle himself for a decent amount of time. Even longer if you can stay between 10% sanity (12) and 15% sanity (18) to prevent terrorbeaks from spawning.
  • Works well with the night light
    • She has increased fuel efficiency, already farms nightmare fuel easily, and gains sanity from the night light opposed to losing it.(She always gained sanity from the nightlight so that's not new)
    • Currently her fuel efficiency doesn't seem to effect night lights but i've posted it as a bug so we'll see if it's an oversight/bug.
  • Effective at fighting bosses that spawn minions.
    • Bernie aggros the Dragonfly's Lavae and is fireproof making it very easy to fight Dragonfly without cheesing and let's you get free damage in while it's spawning lavae.
    • Bernie aggros the Beequeen's grumble bee's for the first half of the fight making it a bit easier to fight the Beequeen. However once she starts empowering the grumble bee's they ignore Bernie so you'll still need multiple people or alternative strategies to take her down.
  • Can use insanity inducing items, armor and weapons very easily with Bernie
    • She could already do this before the rework but since Bernie is way better at surviving it's considerably easier to do so.
  • Bernie can tank enemies for you
    • Specifically very nice in the ruins when it's common for there to be a couple clockworks bunched up together so it's less demanding to single out a clockwork and finish them off one by one.
    • If you bring a sewing kit he can tank up to 10,000 health of damage for you.\

That's all I have got for now. Have you guys thought of any other interesting things Willow can do?

ALSO, does anyone know if terrorbeaks only spawn under a certain sanity percentage? I have observed that they only seem to spawn at 0% sanity or so but i've never fully confirmed it. If they indeed only spawn at 0% sanity there is merit in keeping Willow's sanity at slightly above 0% to ensure Bernie lasts longer for the passive nightmare fuel farming strat.

So it appears from in game testing that terrorbeaks only spawn under 10% sanity (12 for Willow) so there is merit to staying slightly above 12 sanity to allow Bernie to passively fuel farm for longer.

YouKnowWho    7,281

If you're a jerk and want to hurt your bestest buddy, you can hit things with him. Though you probably shouldn't, because it quickly wears down the little guy's durability, and it doesn't do any more damage than a punch. I'm ashamed that I know this. 

FloomRide    446

I'm not sure if this was always the case, but certain mobs lit on fire are incapable of attacking. However, they will panic, making it hard to hit them. Willow can take advantage of this panicked state to land multiple successive hits without being counterattacked. Bosses (including treeguards) are immune to this, sadly.

The "blasting off" tactic from single player DS is now executable, sort of. Rope is better than grass, since you'll need to use the flingo after all the dropped items catch fire. You also need a client mod to drop all the items in one place. I don't think it's very viable though and I have no idea how the lag affects other players.

Spoiler

I'm very thankful that Klei gave willow some natural heat insulation, actually. It really lets her take advantage of fire immunity for extended periods, which would have been impossible if she overheated quickly.

ButterStuffed    1,584
4 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

I'm not sure if this was always the case, but certain mobs lit on fire are incapable of attacking. However, they will panic, making it hard to hit them. Willow can take advantage of this panicked state to land multiple successive hits without being counterattacked. Bosses (including treeguards) are immune to this, sadly.

Originally I was very skeptical this would be useful in any sense of the word but it seems to be amazingly effective against spider queens. However it's difficult to gauge how much more damage she can take before she dies and burns all her loot so it's difficult to pull off unless there is only one of them.

7 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

I don't think it's very viable though and I have no idea how the lag affects other players.

With 50 rope she'll go from 0% to 100% before needing to extinguish the rope. So as a one time investment it seems to be viable but a bit expensive.

FloomRide    446
1 minute ago, ButterStuffed said:

With 50 rope she'll go from 0% to 100% before needing to extinguish the rope. So as a one time investment it seems to be viable but a bit expensive.

Alright, that's a much better number than the one I got in testing, before the hotfix. Glad to hear Willow has her excellent sanity control back.